Video Screencast Help

Upgrading to Backup Exec 2012

Created: 21 Oct 2013 | 8 comments

I have a client who is currently running BE 2010 R3 on 2008R2. It's been working fine backing up mostly 2012 servers with a couple of 2008 servers, but he likes to be on the cutting edge so he just upgraded his Exchange server to 2013. Now of course Exchange backups don't work.

There are 47 backup jobs, some nightly, others weekly.

So my options are to upgrade the current server from BE 2010 R3 to BE 2012, or to bring up a new Windows 2012 server and install BE 2012 on it. The main thing is that I do NOT want to re-create the BE setup all over gain, -especially- all these jobs. Is there some way to bring up the new server with BE 2012 and migrate all the configuration settings and jobs from the current server to the new one?

Jonathan

Operating Systems:

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

lmosla's picture
Since Backup Exec 2012 is quite a bit different than other Backup Exec versions, 
before the upgrade review these links 

What's different in Backup Exec 2012  , Backup Exec 2012 Upgrade Guide.and Preparing to Install or Upgrade to BE 2012

Here is a great How to Upgrade from Backup Exec 2010R3 to Backup Exec 2012 from pkh  https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/upgrading-be-2010-r3-be-2012

If possible install Backup Exec 2012 on a test machine first so you can see how it looks and learn the new interface. Also, alot of times a fresh install versus an upgrade is a cleaner and in the long run an easier way to go

JLeslie's picture

Thanks Imosla, I'll be studying these to get all the info I can from them.

Jonathan

Jonathan

pkh's picture

If your jobs are backing up multiple servers in one job,  they would be split up when you upgrade from BE 2010 to BE 2012.

Note that BE 2012 SP2 allows you to back up Exchange 2013, but GRT backup of Exchange 2013 is not supported.  See the SCL below

BE 2012 SCL

JLeslie's picture

Each job backs up only one server but mulitple jobs run at the same time. So the job split won't affect me.

I have seen that GRT backup is not yet supported in BE 2012. I guess MS caught Symantec offguard with Exchange 2013 so Symantec hasn't been able to get that working yet.

Jonathan

Jonathan

JLeslie's picture

Since you can't do a GRT backup of Exchange 2013, does this mean then that you can only recover an entire Exchange database as compared to recovering individual mailboxes?

Jonathan

Jonathan

VJware's picture

or to bring up a new Windows 2012 server and install BE 2012 on it.

Currently, BE does not support media server installation on a Windows 2012 server. However, a Windows 2012 server can be backed up using BE 2010 R3 SP3 or BE 2012 SP2.

JLeslie's picture

That suprises me. It seems to me that Server 2012 has been available long enough that this situation should be existing.

Jonathan

Jonathan

Jaydeep S's picture

The functionality allowing Backup Exec to be installed on Server 2012 is coming soon in BE 2012 R2.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/backup-exec-2012-update-vsphere-55-support-and-r2-beta-registration

The registrations are open for Beta release.

http://buex.ec/be2012beta