Upgrading from BE 2010 R3 to BE 2012 V-Ray or Veeam
We are currently running Backup Exec 2010 R3 but have received a free Backup Exec 2012 licence. We are considering an upgrade from Backup Exec 2010 to either the V-Ray version of Backup Exec 2012 or moving away to Veeam. Exec 2010 R3 is working well but we need a more robust DR solution!
Our environment comprises:
- One physical BE media server (one processor, four cores) with USB based backups. There is nothing else running on that server
- Two Hyper-V host servers running five VMs each, including Exchange 2010, SharePoint 2010, SQL 2008 and Forefront TMG 2010
- Mixture of Windows 2008 R2 Standard and Enterprise
- Will one V-Ray licence cover our setup?
- Are the Hyper-V components on the host servers backed up by BE V-Ray i.e. VM configuration settings, snapshots etc?
- We currently use GRT for our Exchange data. Will the remote agent that is included in the V-Ray package also allow us to continue to use GRT for our Exchange backups?
- Is V-Ray fully Exchange, SharePoint and SQL application aware?
- I am planning the following backup strategy:
- Weekly full backups of all VMs (including all application data)
- Daily incremental backups of all VMs (including all application data)
- Would such a backup strategy negate the need for a traditional data backup as the VMs along with their data would get backed up daily and individual files/e-mails could be restored from any of the VM backups?
- Is there any need for our existing BE 2012 licence if we purchased a BE V-Ray licence or is there an upgrade option?