Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  Upgrading to Exchange 2007, install Brightmail Message Filter Antispam 6.1 on a seperate computer

Posted Feb 02, 2009 05:52 PM

We are today running Brightmail 6.1 on the same server as Exchange 2003. We are now going to switch to Exchange 2007 on a new 64 bits server. I read on this link

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-gate.nsf/docid/2008011508562554?Open&seg=ent

• Install SBMF 6.x on a mail server that on a location where the message can be scanned before being passed to the Microsoft Exchange 2007 server.
      For example, install SBMF on a MTA server that is acting as a Gateway or fowarder to the Microsoft Exchange 2007 server.

So I can just keep Brightmail om my old Exchange 2003 server? Can anybody please tell me what I have change in Brightmail to act as a gateway for the Exchange 2007 server?

• 2.  RE: Upgrading to Exchange 2007, install Brightmail Message Filter Antispam 6.1 on a seperate computer

Posted Feb 02, 2009 06:57 PM

Hello,

So at the moment, Brightmail is not supported on a 64 bit Operating System. This is the big hang-up when going to Exchange 2007 since it only runs on a 64 bit OS.

What that quote is saying is that you can install Brightmail to a machine that is already set up as a mail gateway before your exchange server that is running a supported OS. (Example: Windows 2003 with IIS.)

The forwarding of mail is all done outside of Brightmail. And since we don't care where mail is going in general, as long as you have a supported OS with a supported MTA, we will install to it.

I hope this clarifies things a little. If you have further questions please feel free to ask.

-Tom

• 3.  RE: Upgrading to Exchange 2007, install Brightmail Message Filter Antispam 6.1 on a seperate computer

Posted Feb 03, 2009 06:18 AM

Ok, thank you. So I can in Brightmail change the "SMTP Insertion host" from 127.0.0.1:25 to out new Exchange 2007 server IP and Brightmail will deliver all mail to Exchange 2007 instead?

How will Brightmail handle that Exchange will deliver the message to the Junk e-mail folder? It mark the message before delivering to Exchange who put it in the correct folder?

• 4.  RE: Upgrading to Exchange 2007, install Brightmail Message Filter Antispam 6.1 on a seperate computer

Posted Feb 03, 2009 01:41 PM

Hello again,

So it sounds as though you are having more than just normal install/upgrade issues and you may want to call in to support. They can answer these questions and also help with any of the issues you are seeing as well.

The Junk email foldering will actually act completely different if Brightmail is not installed on the Exchange server. When local, we can utilize SCL values within IMF and send the messages to the Junk folder. Otherwise we will actually tag the header of the message with X-bmifolder:1 in order to deem the message as needing to be sent to the folder. But since we are not installed directly on the Exchange server we can't use SCL and there has to be a server rule that looks for this header tag.

I know this is a little confusing, which is why I think you should contact support.

Thanks!

Tom

• 5.  RE: Upgrading to Exchange 2007, install Brightmail Message Filter Antispam 6.1 on a seperate computer

Posted Apr 08, 2009 03:45 PM
    Thank you for the information. I have contacted support, but it has not been very sucessfull. I'm now relaying the mail via the SMTP server on the IIS with Brightmail Installed. According to support it was enought to create a server rule, and I received this link. But then I only have one spam box for all users. I would like to have the spam delivered to earch users spam folders, as when Brightmail was installed on the same server.
    It will be very helpful if you can tell me how configure this..

• 6.  RE: Upgrading to Exchange 2007, install Brightmail Message Filter Antispam 6.1 on a seperate computer

Posted Apr 10, 2009 01:43 PM
    So this should be possible. However, it may be a little more difficult.

When you set Brightmail to "Send message to spam folder", all this really does is add "X-bmiFolder: 1" to the header of the message.

This is a little different when we are installed on the Exchange server, because we can leverage native SCL values in that case. This is why you are seeing the bahavior that you are.

What you could do is create a client side rule to look for "X-bmiFolder: 1" and send these messages to the local Junk E-mail folder. This could be pushed out to your users via a GPO or something along those lines, depending on how many users you have.

Please let me know if I need to clarify anything or if there is anything else I can help with.

Thanks!
    Tom

• 7.  RE: Upgrading to Exchange 2007, install Brightmail Message Filter Antispam 6.1 on a seperate computer

Posted Apr 15, 2009 07:09 PM
    Thank you for the information!
    We have about 20 users. But is not a "client side rule" only running when using Outlook, and not on the server? But a rule looking for X-bmiFolder: 1" should be able be created as a server rule? Do you have any resourses you can link to  to help me to set this up for all users?

• 8.  RE: Upgrading to Exchange 2007, install Brightmail Message Filter Antispam 6.1 on a seperate computer

Posted Apr 16, 2009 02:04 PM
    As long as the mail client knows to look for that in the header of the message and move the message to the Junk folder, it should work. I don't really have much more information on that because it's outside of Symantec software.

Anyone else feel free to chime in if they want.

Thanks!

• 9.  RE: Upgrading to Exchange 2007, install Brightmail Message Filter Antispam 6.1 on a seperate computer

Posted Apr 16, 2009 04:15 PM
    Ok, thank you. Are you planning any version of Brightmail Message Filter Antispam that can be installed on a Exchange 2007 server?