Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  Upgrading frm SEE ver.7.0.4 to 7.0.5 issues

Posted Apr 13, 2010 11:44 AM
    I am wanting to upgrade an SEE Managment Server from ver.7.0.4 to 7.0.5 but have some comcerns. The way I understand it, all SEE modules must be un-installed first. This includes: framework, client framework, management SEE encryption manager, SEE removable storage edition, SEE full disk edition. I am new to this an just learning it a I go along. However, this seems very intest just to be able to start putting Win7 machines in place. What are the chances of the machines that I now have in place loosing communication with the SEE server database? I would appriciate any input on a more streamline upgrade proccess if anyone could help. Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Upgrading frm SEE ver.7.0.4 to 7.0.5 issues

Posted Apr 13, 2010 12:17 PM
    Hi Caper340,

I also learnt as I was going along so know how it feels - feel free to post as often as you want here and we'll try to help (if we can!)

I dont see why you would need to remove the existing modules at all. I've upgraded twice (once from 7.0.3 to 7.0.4 and one from 7.0.4 to 7.0.5 and not had to remove anything before. Is there anything in particular that makes you think this? Have a check of the upgrade section of the install documentation and it should explain it. If you're just running the MSI's and getting a message sayings its already installed you need to check the section about running a command line(something along the lines of msiexec /i <package> /REINSTALL="ALL" /REINSTALLMODE="vomus"). Obviously taking backups first is important and if you have more than one mangement server just do one at a time.

Hope that helps a little
    David

• 3.  RE: Upgrading frm SEE ver.7.0.4 to 7.0.5 issues

Posted Apr 15, 2010 06:39 PM

I was able to upgrade my test computers (about 20....I'm not fully deployed yet) without uninstalling first.  I used the commands that ukDavidC did above.

Keep in mind, it would be really painful to upgrade if we really had to uninstall first, because that would mean you would have to decrypt the HD first.

• 4.  RE: Upgrading frm SEE ver.7.0.4 to 7.0.5 issues

Posted Apr 15, 2010 06:45 PM

• 5.  RE: Upgrading frm SEE ver.7.0.4 to 7.0.5 issues

Posted Apr 29, 2010 11:20 AM
    Hello Dave, Just wanted you to know that running the command line as you suggested worked. Thank you so much for your help.

• 6.  RE: Upgrading frm SEE ver.7.0.4 to 7.0.5 issues

Posted Apr 29, 2010 11:39 AM
    If you originally installed the SEE clients via GPO (the recommended method) the new client packages can be added to the existing GPO as an 'upgrade' and the GPO will take care of all the switches and etc.

• 7.  RE: Upgrading frm SEE ver.7.0.4 to 7.0.5 issues

Posted May 19, 2010 08:46 PM
    I upgraded my computers with the commands above through Altiris....not through a GPO.  My initial install on our computers was also through Altiris.

So even if you loaded software manually on each computer and you used the command above using a batch script or something, it should still work.