Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Upgrading from Office 2007 w/ EV 9.02 to Office 2013 w/ EV 10.04 - Add in does not load

Created: 23 Apr 2014 • Updated: 22 Jul 2014 | 8 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Dear all,

Background:

I am currently working on an install script to upgrade users from Office 2007 to Office 2013. There are a number of add-ins to remove and install as part of this process, one of them being Enterprise Vault Outlook Add-in.

Before upgrading, users have EV 9.02 with Outlook 2007 SP2 installed. The script currently removes EV 9.02, along with other add-ins and applications, restarts, then installs Office 2013. After Office 2013 has been installed the new versions of the add-ins are installed (without any more restarts). These are installed as part of a batch script that runs at login (HKLM\..\RunOnce). The user is a local administrator. UAC is not enabled.

Other add-ins that were installed load and function correctly after Outlook has been upgraded. 

Problem:

The EV application itself appears to install. It has an entry in Programs and Features and the add-in is listed in COM Add-ins in Outlook (albeit unticked). MSI logging is also enabled and this reports that the application was successfully installed. 

The issue is that the add-in will not load when Outlook 2013 is launched, i.e. there is no ENTERPRISE VAULT in the ribbon or the options menu. Enabling it in Outlook and restarting does not make it load. 

This issue only appears to occur on machines running Windows 7 64-bit. Windows 7 32-bit machines are running a virtually identical script but the add-in has been loading on most of the test machines so far.

Troubleshooting:

- Enabled level 3 logging (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Client\LoggingLevel) and relaunched Outlook but no file ev_client_log_XXX.txt is created in %temp%.

- Added the installation MSI to HKLM\..\RunOnce to reinstall at next logon, but the same issue occurs. Same issue also occurs if added to HKCU\..\RunOnce. The application installs but the add-in does not load.

- Forced add-in to run by setting LoadBehaviour to 3 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\EnterpriseVault.DesktopUI

Workarounds:

The only way that I've been able to get it to load is by:

- Manually repairing or reinstalling the application using the same batch file, or the same MSI, when the user is logged in

- Logging in as a different user and manually enabling the add-in in Outlook, then logging off and back in as the original user

Obviously these solutions are not ideal as we are going to be upgrading nearly 2,000 users in the coming weeks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Eoin

Operating Systems:

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

Rob.Wilcox's picture

Pretty sure that I've done largely those same steps plenty of times before it has worked. Have you got any further with the issue?

eoinmc's picture

Not yet. I've logged a support call with Symantec and have supplied ProcMon log files for them to analyse. I'll update this thread once a solution has been found.

TypoProne's picture

You know I seem to recall al ot of people having issues with these loading in 2013 in x64 systems and it seemed addressed in CHF2 I think. Are you running the latest CHF'd client? I see no spefic notation in the readme that would apply to this but I could swear there were a dozen postings where that was the reccomendation. May be worth a check if you are not there already.

 

 

eoinmc's picture

I've been in contact with Symantec support. The problem appears to be that the DesktopCommon.dll does not load until a full reboot is is performed and ResetEVClient.exe is run. Running ResetEVClient.exe before restarting doesn't fix the problem. Still not sure why this is happening, and having to do a full restart and reset isn't ideal considering we're going to be upgrading 2,000 or so machines over the coming months.

I'll add more updates as we get them. It's worth noting that this only appears to happen on 64-bit machines.

@TypoProne, I'll check out, thanks for the suggestion.

VirgilDobos's picture

Hi there, looking forward for the resolution on this as I'm facing a similar challenge. Thanks.

Virgil Dobos | Sr. Technical Consultant | Condo-Protego | www.condoprotego.com 

eoinmc's picture

No resolution yet. Still running ResetEVClient.exe to get the add-in to load on affected machines. May have to change our installation process to restart after upgrading to Office 2013.

eoinmc's picture

The workaround for this issue appears to be to re-register Valkyrie.dll after rebooting.

We've added an extra restart and batch file to our upgrade process and preliminary tests show the EV add-in loading successfully.

Not really a fix but it's working so I'm happy. Initially I was making ResetEVClient.exe run after a restart but this involved pressing a key to continue which isn't ideal. I then went through the list of tasks that ResetEVClient does, one by one, and got lucky relatively early with Valkyrie.dll resolving the issue.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Eoin

Command:

cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVClient

regsvr32 Valkyrie.dll /s

SOLUTION