Upgrading SEPM from 11.x to 12.1.2015.2015
Good Morning Connect,
I have recently taken over the SEPM solution that our server team had since install. IT Security is taking over the responsibility. We are having a few issues with this turn over which are listed below:
- The server admin that is responsible for it now did't do the install and is took over SEPM like I am now
- The server admin is now engaged in other matters with disaster recovery class / setup
- The server admin never installed or upgraded versions just patch releases to the 11.x environment
So as the Technical Security Analyst, my job is outlined in the task below:
- Migrate (hopefully) all the structure to the new install of 12.1.2015.2015
- Get with the desktop team and server teams to give them the new 12.X client install to bake into image
- Start upgrading current clients on 11.X
I am stuck in a few places with my task as I have been researching without success. Migrating from 11 to 12. There is a new server that we installed version 12 on. This server is a vm server and it has the sql server installed on the same server. (We are under 3000 clients on our network) How would I take our existing structure with groups, roles, policies, and reports into the new environment?
Once the initial migration of structure is complete, pushing out the version 12 client does't seem that bad. I can't however push out the new version to the clients on the network without making sure they are in the correct group and have the correct policies.
We have certain manufacturing servers, etc that have different policies in place. Some software can't be hindered by firewalls, others can't have anything, etc, etc. We also have 1000 field sales laptops. We had to get a custom policy for these laptops since they aren't connected to the vpn for more than a couple of minutes at a time. We put in if the client cannot touch our dns server, then it goes to Symantec Online to receive updates.
As you can see I am stuck and looking for a white paper, a how to guide, or anything that will help me out with migrating to the new version. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have contacted our technical sales rep for more information but did't know if someone had something accessible so I could start and show progress to management.