Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

upgrading SSR 2011 SP1 clients to SP2 using SSRM

Created: 24 Sep 2012 | 30 comments

How can I update SSR 2011 SP1 clients to SP2? I have updated the manager, using SIM, but how to update clients????

Comments 30 CommentsJump to latest comment

Chris Riley's picture

The first thing to point out is that SP3 is now available so maybe you should go with that instead of SP2.

The install policy needs to be enabled and obviously you need to assign the relevant client machines to that policy. I believe you also need to do an 'update distribution points' on the install package which tells the clients that the package has been updated.

Hope that helps.

giorgiobusoni's picture

I have downloaded an updated symantec.pl.xml and now I can download SP3 for symantec installer (client) and for lightout restore. Is it all? SP3 is just for clients? No server (manager) update?

Chris Riley's picture

SP3 is just a client-side update, there is no SP3 for the management solution.

Markus Koestler's picture

Oh, really ? I didn't realise that !

*** Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question(s) ***

giorgiobusoni's picture

PS: install policy is enabled for "clients that do not have SSR 2011 installed".

But I do not need to install, i need to update....

How do I update distribution points? That's not clear at all...

Afaik when you select all the updates offered by SIM the MS is upgraded automatically too.  If i remeber it correctly to update the distribution points you have to go to the edit package section in MS and then there is a button to do so. To update the clients that are out there I think the only thing to be done is that they are targeted by the policy "latest version of ssr installed" or so.

*** Please mark thread as solved if you consider this to have answered your question(s) ***

giorgiobusoni's picture

I have found the "update distribution points" thing. It in the 4th tab in Management console, under updates packages.

Now I need to understand how to add "lastest version of ssr installed" policy you are talking about...

I think you can find this under Package and Policies-->Install Policies.

giorgiobusoni's picture

ok, so I have to use an Install policy?

Under the install policy are listed "clients that do not have SSR 2011 installed" I add "clients running 64 bit agents that need updating"? This is enought? old version automatically gets unistalled?

I should think yes.

Have a look here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/pus...

giorgiobusoni's picture

24 hours have passed, no client has updated (17 clients were listed 24 hours ago):

There is no administrator manual describing the necessary steps to update clients??? is this possible?

support.png
Chris Riley's picture

Yes, it is possible.

I'm looking into this here and will get back to you once I have tested this.

Chris Riley's picture

OK, I got this working.

The steps should be:

1. Download SP3 via SIM

2. Go to update package for SSR 2011 (with or without user interface) and click on 'Update Distribution Points', then 'Save'

3. Make sure install policy is enabled and the relevant client machines are associated with it

That is pretty much it. As long as the clients are communicating with the SSR-MS server, they should start updating. If they don't, it would be a case of checking the client logs for errors (\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\Logs\Agent.log).

giorgiobusoni's picture

Cleints should be communicating, as I tried to deploy also LOR to some of them and it worked immediatly...anyway I'll check the logs.

In the above procedure, I was reversing point 2: first I was clicking save, than update. I'll try again in this way and let you know

giorgiobusoni's picture

I have followed your steps, let's see if it works...

anyway I wasn't able to find any log in the path you told me, there is no /logs folder... :(

Chris Riley's picture

What operating system is this?

Check the following paths:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Altiris\Altiris Agent\Logs

C:\ProgramData\Symantec\Symantec Agent\Logs

giorgiobusoni's picture

found the log. I attack the log of 2 of the clients

AttachmentSize
Agent.txt 91.18 KB
Agent2.txt 86.11 KB
Chris Riley's picture

The only error I see is this:

Date: 26/09/2012 21:59:28
Tick Count: 217562
Host Name: WEBSERVER
Process: AeXNSAgentHostSurrogate32.exe (2536)
Thread ID: 2988
Module: BackupAgent.dll
Source: SSR Plug-in Agent
Description: Unable to connect to VProSvc.

This could be a problem with the SSR service but not sure if it is the cause of why the update is not being installed.

How many client machines have you tried this on so far?

If you have a support contract, I would recommend that you open a case as this will likely need further investigation.

giorgiobusoni's picture

unfortunately no support contract.

that error is probably only because of a restart of the management server...

I have tried with 18 clients, none of them updated...

I sent only 2 logs but I don't think there should be many differences...

giorgiobusoni's picture

today a client that was not powered on in the last 7 days, when powered up it immediatly updated to SP3! the only one! that's strange...all the other still don't update....

The logfile is missing in your post.

giorgiobusoni's picture

looking in /client policies foler, I have found a file named "dns of management".xml

Inside there was this:

<Policies lastUsed="2012-09-27 13:23:14" version="7.1.8280.0" key="1kz5WKAJvcFnr4GXC9J3IA==">
    <Policy guid="{D16B0226-95AA-40B1-9557-3697CA35F38C}" name="Installa Symantec System Recovery 2011 con interfaccia utente - Riavvio automatico" version="7.1.8280.0" hash="D7A1F3B2FF68DF65944315E8EF790C25" userPolicy="">
        <ClientPolicy agentClsid="Altiris.SWD">
            <SoftPkgs>
                <SoftPkg Name="Pacchetto per Symantec System Recovery 2011 SP3 con interfaccia utente" displayName="" Id="{73E23DE3-FE34-4458-9081-CC889AFBF0C5}" Version="10.0" InternalVersion="1348536725" Originator="NSInternal" Destination="" CleanupAfter="0" Priority="Normal" StatusEventsEnabled="false">
                    <PackageDescription><![CDATA[Pacchetto di installazione contenente Symantec System Recovery 2011 con interfaccia utente]]></PackageDescription>
                    <JobID StatusEventsEnabled="true">{D16B0226-95AA-40B1-9557-3697CA35F38C}</JobID>
                    <Title>Install Symantec System Recovery 2011 with user interface--automatic restart</Title>
                    <Abstract><![CDATA[Install Symantec System Recovery 2011 with user interface.  Applying this policy to a resource target causes associated computers to restart automatically.]]></Abstract>
                    <ValidPeriod after="2000-01-01 00:00:00" afterGMT="false"/>
                    <ExecutionEnvironment ExecutionContext="Administrator" LogonName="" LogonDomain="" LogonPassword="" Interactive="false" AllowUserExecution="true" CanRunWhen="Whether or not a user is logged on" StartWindow="Hidden" ScheduleRetry="true" MinConnectionSpeed="0" RemoveAfterRun="false" UserOptional="false" NotifyUserArrival="true" SuccessCodes="0, 3010, 1641" FailureCodes="" CheckMsiNotRunning="true"/>
                    <Download useClientDefaults="true" Immediate="true" MinDownloadSpeed="1" MinExecutionSpeed="1" multicast="Default" Mode="Always"/>
                    <Implementation PackageSize="174287683" EstimatedSize="100000" EstimatedDuration="5" KillAfter="10" WorkingDirectory="" Language="" NoSourceFiles="false" NotifyBeforeExecution="false" notifyBeforeRunMaxDefer="0" RunOnceForEachLoggedOnUser="false">
                        <CommandLine><![CDATA[install\setup.exe /S /L1040 /V"SILENTMANAGED=1 REBOOT=Force /qn AddLocal=Shared,Console,ConsoleShortCut,Push,Agent,SecurityShortCut,Gear,Browser,BrowserShortCut /l*v "%temp%\ssr_10_0_wui_install.log""]]></CommandLine>
                        <AfterExecution action="Restart computer" force="true" maxtime="5"/>
                        <Platforms allowAnyPlatform="true"/>
                    </Implementation><Schedule IndependentExecution="true"><Trigger Type="-1" Description=""/></Schedule></SoftPkg>
            </SoftPkgs>
        </ClientPolicy>
    </Policy>

So it seems like it rceived the policy update, but does not install...but clients are added in install policy...

Hm, you could check the SSR MS Admin guide for some hints: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

Any progress here ?