Video Screencast Help

Upgrading Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager to 12.1

Created: 14 Jan 2013 • Updated: 16 Jan 2013 | 9 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi,

I am upgrading my SEPM from 11.0.6005.562 to 12.1, the installation was done successfully. Now the management server upgrade is being done. My sem5.db is 35GB. Dumping data to the file system is being done.

Can you please let me know where the dump is located and as well what is the file name? Will the dump be of same size as the sem5.db? I find that a file 493.dat is increasing in size in the sem5.db folder. Is that the dump file? How long normally the dump takes.

Thanks

Arvind Parboteeah

Comments 9 CommentsJump to latest comment

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

What version of SEPM are you running currently??

Are you talking about taking a Backup of Database??

If yes, the path would be - C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\backup

Usually, The time taken for a backup depends on the size of the Database.

Check this - 

Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager database backup and restore explained

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/symantec-endpoint-protection-manager-database-backup-and-restore-explained

Check this Article:

Best practices for upgrading to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.2

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH163700

Hope that helps!!

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

SOLUTION
Gavinash's picture

Right now I am running SEPM  11.0.6005.562. I want to upgrade to SEPM 12.1. The installation of SEPM 12.1 has already been completed. Now the management server upgrade is running, task dbunlspt.exe.

Hello,

Please update the Forum's Team on the progress.

Also, Check this Article:

Best practices for upgrading to Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.2

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH163700

Hope that helps!!

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

Gavinash's picture

Hi Mithun,

I left the Management server upgrade continue overnight, i.e., process Dumping data to the file system. When I came back to work today, I found that the dbunlspt.exe process was not running. I then restarted the server, but Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager service cannot be launched.

I have launched %Program Files%\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\bin\upgrade.bat again, the 'Dumping data to the file system' process is running again. Hopefully this time it will be okie.

The problem is that as per screen shot, the Server upgrade status just stays on 3% and the mouse pointer appears as busy. I am going to let the process run for the day and see the outcome.

Is there any log I can check to know what is going on? Any help will be most welcomed.

Thanks

Arvind Parboteeah

Management server upgrade.jpg

Hello,

In case if you still face the issue, please upload us the - 

1) scm-server-0.log and 

2) catalina.out

from \Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\logs

Hope that helps!!

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant

Gavinash's picture

Hi Mithun,

The dumping process started at 9:00 15/01 and went on till 15:00. Then the 'Loading data into the new database' started and it is still running now 16/01 8:45. It has been going for 18 hours, is that normal? I will just let the process keep going on and see how it goes.

Arvind

Management server upgrade 42.jpg

Hello,

Since it's a 35 GB Database, it would take time.

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant

Gavinash's picture

Hi,

You are right. The upgrade process just finished successfully.

Ajit Jha's picture

The path shown in the wizard is different than the path for the actual sem5.db files.  The path in the wizard is for the Server data folder is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data".  But that's not the path of even the original installation of the sem5.db files.  The original installation path for the sem5.db files is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\db".

The "db" folder contains the files sem5.db, sem5.log, and out.log.  But the "data" folder contains other folders: inbox, migration, outbox, temp, and template.

Regard's

Ajit Jha

Technical Consultant

ASC & STS