Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Upgrading from Symantec System Center 10.7.1 to Symantec Endpoint Protection manager

• 1.  Upgrading from Symantec System Center 10.7.1 to Symantec Endpoint Protection manager

Posted Sep 23, 2010 09:10 AM

Hello.  I have recently upgraded some machines on our domain to WIndows 7, and discovered that you cannot use symantec System Center 10.7.1 to manage the antivirus on Windows 7.  So we decided to upgrade our Symantec product to Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager 11.0.6.  I am able to install the Endpoint Protection Manager, and have some success deploying SEP 11 to machines in the domain, but I have some questions regarding how to set up the LiveUpdate and also how to get the machines to connect to the servers in Endpoint Protection Manager.  The way we used to handle it was we would deploy Symantec 10.7.1 to a machine and tell it which server to use.  This server would deploy the antivirus and would also send down the updated definition files.  I would like to set up Symantec Version 11.0.6 to run the same way but seem to  be unable to. Also with regards to deployment, I am able to use Symantec Endpoint Protection manager to deploy antivirus software to the various computers on teh domain, but they do not appear as connected when I try to view them in the Protection manager.  If I physically go to the machines and replace the Sylink.xml file in the Symantec Root folder with the one I copied from the manager, they will appear, but I do not want to have to do this with every single computer on the domain.  Any ideas or suggestions on how to solve these two issues would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!!

• 2.  RE: Upgrading from Symantec System Center 10.7.1 to Symantec Endpoint Protection manager
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 23, 2010 10:37 AM

By Default Symantec Endpoint Protection Clients take definitions updates from Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager. If this is what was configured in SAV, then you don't have to do any thing. Check the following articles

Title: 'How to update virus definitions and other content with Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 and Symantec Network Access Control 11'
    Web URL: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH102467&locale=en_US

Title: 'How to configure mobile computers to automatically download virus definitions when disconnected from the Symantec Endpoint Protection Management console'
    Web URL: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH104571&locale=en_US

On which operating system have you installed Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager? If it is Server 2008, check for Windows Firewall. If it is ON the IIS port 8014 should be open.