Video Screencast Help

UpSEP client on SEPM server (12.1.4013.4013) and cannot map drives

Created: 23 Nov 2013 • Updated: 24 Nov 2013 | 18 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I just upgraded my SEPM from 12.1.3 to 12.1.4. I then upgraded the SEP client on the server; antivirus only, no firewall. Since the upgrade however, I cannot map drives from this server.

I looked in the device manager, changing the 'VIEW' to show devices by connection and show hidden devices. There is a 'Symantec Endpoint Protection Firewall' entry in the device list.

Could this be what's causing my issue?

Thank you.

Operating Systems:

Comments 18 CommentsJump to latest comment

rickd's picture

Hello James-

Same result. There is only the antivirus/antispyware installed. I compared the device manager on my second SEPM and it does not have the SEP firewall componen in the hidden device listing

Rafeeq's picture

you are right, that driver shouldn't be in there, go to add/remove programs, select sep,

modify, remove NTP, reboot

NTP will not showup until its rebooted I think you installed with NTP..

rickd's picture

I checked add/remove programs/modify and the only option is to install NTP, no unistall

.Brian's picture

Have you tried uninstalling/re-installing the client?

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

SOLUTION
rickd's picture

Hello Brian, that worked, I uninstalled and accessing rebooted and network shares worked! Then I pushed the client from the SEPM (on the same server) and the SEP firewall settings did not show back up in the device manager.

Thank you for your expert help!

rickd's picture

Not yet, but I dont think that will sove the problem. Will a reqular uninstall also remove the firewall driver found in the device manager?

.Brian's picture

It's part of SEP, so I don't see why not. Unless of course this was some sort of bug, in which case you would likely need to use cleanwipe

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

rickd's picture

OK, I'll give thaqt a shot. But Cleanwipe on a SEPM manager? Can you actually do that without wiping out the management server?

.Brian's picture

With the latest version of cleanwipe, you can select the box to only remove the client.

Starting with 12.1.4, cleanwipe is freely available on the download ISO, under the Tools folder.

Check it out and let me know if it's there.

rickd's picture

It's there, do you know of anyone that's run the latest cleanwipe on a SEP mamager?

.Brian's picture

I have on my test SEPM.

When you run the cleanwipe setup, you should see the option to check 3 different boxes, for sep client, for sepm, and for windows LU. You should only check it for the client.

Sorry, just going off memory as I don't have it in front of me. I think it's the second or third screen where these options are.

Just make sure to backup your SEPM...in case.

AjinBabu's picture

Hi, 

Have you tested it after disabling the AV?

Any system messages on event viewer?

Regards

Ajin

rickd's picture

Sorry for the delayed reply...the first think I did was test by shutting down SEP on the system which didn’t work. However, I did use add/remove programs o uninstall SEP client. Once done and rebooted, I could access network shares. I then reinstalled the SEP client pushing from the same SEPM and that worked!

thank you for your time!

.Brian's picture

awesome, glad it's now working.

take care,
brian