Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  Using Altiris Deployment Solution 6.8 SP1 with Windows Server 2008 R2 (64bit)

Posted Jun 21, 2011 10:22 AM

I'm complete newbie to this, so hoping someone can help?

We're basically running Altiris Deployment Solution 6.8 SP1 on Windows 2003 Server R2 SP1.  We've just recently built a Windows Server 2008 R2 (64 bit) server, which we were planning to take a system image of using Altiris.  I attempted to deploy the remote agent from the Altiris server, which didn't throw any issues.  The remote server is successfully running the Altiris Cleint Service, however it's not appearing in the list of machines within the deployment console on the Altiris Server.  I also can't see the agent running in the System Tray on the target server.  I've checked the usual things e.g can the servers communicate with another etc, although is there a compatibility issue here?

I've had a look at other forum discussions, but can't find the scenario i'm facing - Thanks in advance...

• 2.  RE: Using Altiris Deployment Solution 6.8 SP1 with Windows Server 2008 R2 (64bit)

Broadcom Partner
    Posted Jun 21, 2011 12:19 PM

Hi, Fonzarelli,

The first thing you should do is to upgrade your Server from 6.8 SP1 to 6.9 SP3 (better SP5) to have a supported Agent for your Operating System. 

It´s a big change from 6.8SP1 to 6.9 SP3-5 according to the Client that is running on your "Client/Server". With 6.8 SP1 all you have is an Agent named "Aclient" that is not supported on a Windows Server 2008R2. 

With 6.9 SP3-5 you should use the "new" agent called "Dagent" that is the only Agent that is supported on Windows Server 2008R2.

Hope this helps

Network23

• 3.  RE: Using Altiris Deployment Solution 6.8 SP1 with Windows Server 2008 R2 (64bit)

Posted Jun 22, 2011 05:07 AM

Hi Fonzarelli,

The latest deployment solution 7.1 SP1 release supports following Operating Systems:

Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 
    Windows Vista SP2 
    Windows XP SP3
    Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2
    Windows 7 SP1
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux  4
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 Server
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server
    Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server  9
    Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10  
    Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 9
    Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10

Deployment Solution Key Features

• Mass-deploy hardware-independent images of a reference system to new and existing systems using Symantec Ghost and rDeploy imaging technology
    • Migrate to the latest Windows version using including moving user data, personality settings and OS and application settings to the new operating system
    • Configure each system based on standardized criteria, such as job function, user type, or location
    • Supports deployment of heterogeneous client and server operating systems, including Windows, Linux, and Solaris
    • Supports heterogeneous OS deployment, including Windows and Linux, on client and server machines
    • Easily create jobs and tasks that automate deployment and migration functions including imaging, scripted OS installations, configurations, and software deployments
    • Supports industry standards hardware management capabilities such as Intel® vPro, PXE, and Wake on LAN™ technologies.
    • Role-and-scope-based security secures management features from unauthorized personnel
    • Supports WinPE and Linux pre-boot environments
    • Integrated with many Symantec products already built on the Symantec Management Platform, including Altiris products, security, backup and recovery, virtualization, data loss prevention, vulnerability assessment.

• 4.  RE: Using Altiris Deployment Solution 6.8 SP1 with Windows Server 2008 R2 (64bit)

Posted Jun 22, 2011 07:02 AM

Check whether firewall settings are enabled .

If enabled then turn off windows firewall and check