Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Using Backup Exec 2012 from a workgroup to backup a domain

Created: 07 Nov 2012 | 2 comments

Hi,

before I start - this is probably not the best setup - but I I am trying to make the best use of what we've got.

We are currently using Windows server 2008 R2 with the Hyper-V role installed - running 14 virtual machines. BUE 2012 is installed on the Hyper-V server as the media server (as its got the tape library directly connected)

The Hyper-V server is not a member of the domain that the 14 machines are in.

We are experiencing problems where the service account on the domain that we use to backup the machines keeps getting locked out - with BUE showing error E0009B61 - but the credentials are valid.

Examining the event logs of the VMs - I can see that the service account logs on - but also the admin account of the hyper-v host tries occasionaly.

So my questions are as follows:

• Has anybody got a similar setup?
  • Why is this account getting locked out - the credentials are correct!
  • Why would the local admin account of the host be invoked?
  • Could this setup be improved any (bearing in mind we have limited kit)

Im sure there will be more questions - but it seems really strange because the account locks out at random times - with no set pattern. We can run the test run option in the daytime and it all completes. But when the job runs for real over night we get several failures?

Any help really is appreciated.

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

The local account is trying because that is what runs the BE services, and this is the BE service account. That would be by design, considering the recommendation is to run BE in a domain.

Do you have a spare server lying around? If so, and it has a card to handle the tape drive, install Windows, place it on your domain, install BE and move the Data/Catalogs folders to this server using the process below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH67768

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

AJJ81's picture

Hi Craig,

thanks for your suggestion - but I do not have the spare kit.

If I understand your point correctly - then why can you set which accounts the job can use if its going to override your setting and use what it wants?

We have added the service account on the domain and use that to connect to all the machines. Is there anyway of stopping that 'designed' behaviour?

thanks