Control Compliance Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Using CCS 9.0.1 create registry value checks

Posted Dec 07, 2010 02:12 PM

I am using CCS 9.0.1 and would like to create a check to validate registry values.  For example, I need to create a registry check to report the date for McAfee DAT file. The path is HKLM\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVEngine. The actual key is called AVDatDate. 

• 2.  RE: Using CCS 9.0.1 create registry value checks

Posted Dec 07, 2010 02:53 PM

If I could offer some advice that might help you get what you're looking for. I'd go in to the Regulatory Standards inside of windows and search for Registry

You'll see a ton of things come up that match that word in the existing checks that come with the system. Take a look at some of those and copy / paste one into a new standard. You'll be able to customize it and change the value as needed for the Mcafee DAT file you listed in the post.

I am guessing you're looking to create a check that have the machine fail if the reg value does not match a certain value. In this case I'm also guessing you will need to go back and update the check for a new date every so often or set a boundary on a dashboard to notify you if it fails?

I'm just wondering if this is jsut going to be a check against this one registry value or part of a larger group of checks in a standard. If its only for this one item you may consider using a bv-control for windows query then export the results to a xml file for a custom dashboard.

• 3.  RE: Using CCS 9.0.1 create registry value checks

Posted Dec 23, 2010 02:38 PM

A check would see if a particular registry is set  to a certain value  or  not. For example, it will chk if HKLM\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVEngine is set  to XYZ value  or not.

I don't think, you would be able to prepare a chk that would tell you what a particular value is set  to..!!!

However, you can use RMS to prepare a querry to chk this value..you could also schedule it to run, and  schedule the export of the reults to a pdf, or csv file.

Kindly let me kniow, if you would like to know, how to do this.