Video Screencast Help

V-79-57344-33899 - 0xe000846b- The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.

Created: 28 May 2009 • Updated: 21 May 2010 | 7 comments

Good afternoon,

The problem i have is the following issue. My back-up does not run correctly. It did run for a few days after i changed the credentials for the services. I changed the credentials again and it did run perfectly for a few days. Now it gives me this error (see below). I checked all of the solutions but nothing works. I checked the ports on the back-up application during the back-up with a netstat -a -b. If no back-up is running the port 10000 is not in use.

During the back-up the port 10000 is only used by:
TCP servername:10000 servername.domainname.nl:0 LISTENING 1440
[beremote.exe]
TCP servername:2695 servername.domainname.nl:10000 ESTABLISHED 5936
[bengine.exe]
TCP servername:10000 servername.domainname.nl:2695 ESTABLISHED 1440
[beremote.exe]

To my knowledge these ports are all part of backup excec.

I also checked the SGMON during the back-up. This came up with no errors.
See the support article below on the error and solutions.

Thanks in advance.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/315820
Backup of local resources failing with Remote agent error "0xe000846b- The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent. "
Exact Error Message
The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer.

Details:
While backing up local resources on the media server job fails instantly with error :-
Final error: 0xe000846b - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent. Make sure that the correct version of the Remote Agent is installed and running on the target computer. Final error category: Resource Errors

Cause :-
This error can be caused if Backup Exec job engine is not able to communicate with the local remote agent on port 10000.
To confirm this by run SGMON (under C:\Program Files\Symatec\Backup Exec) during the backup. The SGMON output shows :-

BENGINE: [12/02/08 06:32:17] [4696] ERROR: ndmpcSendRequest(): timeout waiting for reply from control connection
BENGINE: [12/02/08 06:32:17] [4696] ERROR: ndmpSendRequest failed:
BENGINE: [12/02/08 06:32:17] [4696] NDMPAgentConnector::SetupConnection: connectOpen failed on server BENGINE: [12/02/08 06:31:47] [4696] Could not resolve the 'ndmp' service, error: 10109, using port 10000

Resolution :-
In order to resolve this error find out which applications is using port 10000 :-
1.Open Command prompt on the media server
2.Run command "netstat -a -b" (this will list all the ports and application exe using them)
3.Identify the application using port 10000(other than beremote.exe).
Once the application is identified change that Application to use a different port othen than 10000. Contact the application vendor for assistance.
OR
Change the default NDMP port 10000 for Remote Agent from to a different port like 11000.
NOTE: Changing the NDMP port on the Windows Media Server will require changing the NDMP port on all Remote Agent Servers running the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows.

Comments 7 CommentsJump to latest comment

Willem Kik - Promax Information Technology's picture

Thank you for the suggestion but this is not the case. I checked the solution, but with me everything is normal and i only see one server with the disks and the system state.

I found out that the credentials for the services changed to default. Maybe this has something to do with my problem. I set the credentials again. The Backup Exec Remote Agent( BE remote agent service) also uses these credentials.
This should work!

As i thought the services stopped after 2-3 days and the back-up has failed. I had to enter the credentials for the sevices again and i asume the back-up will run smooth for about 2-3 days again.

Does anybody have an idea what this might be?

Does anybody have a solution for this. The back-up exec services keep stopping after a few days. I have to start them manually and set the credentials for these services again.