Video Screencast Help

V-79-57344-38277: Invalid connection handle

Created: 12 Oct 2010 • Updated: 12 Oct 2010 | 5 comments

Trying to backup VMware ESXi guests using SAN transport mode.

BE server is a VM attached to iSCSI SAN, as are the ESXi hosts. All LUNS used for VMFS are accessible by the BE server as read only and appear in Disk Management as Basic disks. Initially I was successful in backing up using SAN mode (only selected option) when selecting a VM directly under the relevant ESXi host hierarchy. When selecting a VM under vCenter, I would get the error below. I tested many times, and even added AD authentication to the ESXi hosts, but still would not work when using the vCenter hierarchy. So, I simply decided to build my jobs and select VMs under each host. 

However, now that is not working either. I can't think of anything I changed, except for adding several more iSCSI targets that contained all my production VMs. Previously I was just using a test LUN. 

Below is the error I get. Like I said, it was partially working at first. No will not work at all.

Job ended: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 at 2:52:37 PM 

Completed status: Failed

Final error: 0xe0009585 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine.

Final error category: Resource Errors 

V-79-57344-38277 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine.

VixDiskLib_Open() reported the error: Invalid connection handle

Any ideas? Thanks!

Shane

Comments 5 CommentsJump to latest comment

NuiiSE's picture

I've done some further testing and it also appears there is a limitation based on the license in use on the ESXi server. I have 3 that are licensed for Enterprise, and one that is Standard. When I select VMs under the Enterprise host, I have success. If I try to backup VMs under the Standard host, it fails. If I migrate the VM from the Standard to Enterprise host, it works.

Are there any licensing issues related to backing up vSphere?

S

Sush...'s picture

Hello NuiiSE,

Regarding your query about Licenses, Backup Exec requires One Agent for VmWare Virtual Infrastructure (AVVI) license for each ESX host server. So it does not depend on the number of guest machines that are present on the ESX.

So if you have 1 AVVI license then you can backups all the VMs from 1 ESX host server irrelevant of number of VMs present on that ESX host.

Here is the technote about AVVI licensing:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130945 : Agent for VMWare Virtual Infrastructure (AVVI) Licensing

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

NuiiSE's picture

I think I'm not making myself clear. I have 4 ESXi Servers:

3 - ESXi Enterprise, in a HA cluster.

1 - ESXi Advanced.

I can backup the VMs in the HA cluster, by selecting them in the tree, underneath each ESXi that is a member of that cluster.

I cannot backup any VM that is running on the ESXi Advanced host. If I migrate the VM to one of the other 3, I CAN back it up.

I cannot backup ANY VM when selecting them under the vCenter tree, no matter what host they are on.

I get the same error in all instances where it fails, which is mentioned above.

I realize how the Backup Exec AVVI licensing works. I am currently using a trial version, and so I don't think I have any limitations in that regard. I was wondering if there are any requirements on the ESXi side, meaning is there any difference between using Advanced vs. Enterprise versions of ESXi. I wouldn't think there is, but I'm trying to narrow down the issue.

Thanks,

Sush...'s picture

Problem

VMWare Agent backup of ESX 3.0 or ESXi fails with - V-79-57344-38277 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine. VixDiskLib_Open() reported the error

SOLUTION:

Only supported and licensed versions of ESX can be backed up with the VMWare agent.  The ESX host needs to be at least 3.5 update 2 as well as have the Vstorage APIs as a licensed feature in VMWare.  Upgrade the ESX host to a supported version and make sure the proper license is installed (ESXi may not be licensed with the Vstorage APIs feature).

The VMWare Consolidated Backup (VCB) feature is not available to ESXi free license installed. For VCB to work on ESXi the VI Foundation license is required.
Please see the following link for more information.
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1006543

Thanks,

-Sush...

Hope this piece of Information Helps you... and if it does then mark this response as Solution....!!!

Mahesh Roja's picture

This KB

V-79-57344-38277 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH124681

And also refer if above does't help

Trying to perform a restore of a Virtual Machine containing virtual RDM using the AVVI agent, fails with error 0xe0009585

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH130082

If this Info helps to resolve the issue please Mark as Solution

Thanks