V-79-57344-38743 - A Backup Exec media server cannot back itself up when it is installed on a virtual machine.
Created: 14 Aug 2012 | 13 comments
I keep getting the "A Backup Exec media server cannot back itself up when it is installed on a virtual machine" on every job regarding virtual machines.
I have two scenarios, where I believe the error should not appear at all.
1) BE 2010 R3, VMWARE vCenter, separate 2008 R2 backup server.
- I backup the vCenter to a B2D folder. Separate job with only the vCenter selected. Also tried selecting the ESX server separately with no success.
GRT does work and I'm usually able to recover everything normally, but I never get the jobs to finish successfully.
- Keep getting the error though the backup server itself has nothing to do with virtual machines.
- I also have a Tape backup job for the files separately.
2) BE2010 R3, Hyper-V, Backup Exec installed on the host.
- This scenario is not optimal, but still the error would not happen here either, as the server itself is not virtual.
- Hyper-V only selected for the job, same error. GRT works and so on.
- I want to backup up the virtual machines without an error in the end.
Q: How do I get the backups top finish without the error? Why do I get the error when the backup servers aren't virtual?