Video Screencast Help
Give us your opinion and win with Symantec! Please help us by taking this survey to tell us about your experience with Symantec Connect, so that we can continue to grow and improve.  Take the survey.

Vault Operation with HP MSL4048 Tape Library

Created: 11 Dec 2013 • Updated: 11 Dec 2013 | 2 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I have NBU 7.5 and a HP MSL4048 tape library.  I have configured Vault for this installation and set the profile for deferred eject and deferred logs.  The vault profile ran successfully and I am ready to eject the tapes.  I have read portions of the admin guide for vault and some forums and I am looking for advice on a good method to eject approximately 12 tapes.  The tape library can have 3 slots in one of the four magazines configured as mailslots.  Should I use these mailslots to remove tapes after running a vault eject policy (which will require multiple magazine removals), or can I remove all the magazines and remove the tapes that are slated to be ejected?  I know which tapes to remove from running "Get Preview" from the Deferred Eject option in NBU Admin Console.  If I choose the latter method it sounds like NBU may not be able to keep accurate logs of what has been ejected.

Operating Systems:

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

mph999's picture

Correct, if you do not use the mailslot - vault wil not realise the tapes have ejected.

The eject should queue - if the mail slot fills vault should wait for it to be emptied, you may have to press OK to continue (apologies, can't remember as I've not done it for a while).

If you run the eject from the vltopmenu, I think it promts you to press any key.

M

Regards,  Martin

Setting Logs in NetBackup:
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH75805

SOLUTION
ds760's picture

Thanks. I'll make sure I enable and use the mailslots.