VCS for SQL Server
We have a 3 node VCS cluster running 3 SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition instances in A/A/P role. I want to add another SQL instance in this existing cluster configuration. I read most of your forums and documentation guides. I would like ask few queries related to this.
Plan to add another sql instance on this configuration would be,
1. Storage has been added to the cluster nodes for this new instance by our Storage admin (he created it by creating a separate servicegroup)
2. What would be my installation order for SQL Server? Always run SQL Setup on active node? (since active node hosting ServiceGroup of this instance will always hold the shared disk resources) . Can I install SQL server on passive node as well?
3. Can I apply SP and Patches to the SQL installation during its installation on individual nodes? or Does SP and Patches has to wait until server it ready first in RTM version?
4. Now once installation completed on NODE1, Stop the sql related services and set it to manual.
5. Switch the ServiceGroup for this instance to NODE2. It will now failover all the shared storage to NODE2 as well.
6. Start SQL installation here again with same instance name on NODE2.
Confusing part: Since on VCS sql server installation is going to be happend as a standalone installation only. (not failover cluster installation as opposed to window clustering). This standalone installation on the same mount will replace the existing System data and log files of previous installation happened on NODE1? How will you install this SQL instance without effecting the exisitng files and directories out there?
I have read somewhere that you need to rename the exisiting directories out there and make sure you do not override them. But My question is, Will this rename won't effect the sql when it will running back on node 1?
Also when I am going to install on NODE3, I have to rename Both of NODE1 and NODE2 installation directories. so under the shared storage at the end i will be getting 3-3 DATA and LOG files for each installations, but under different directory structure. I am not sure how the last step [VCS SQL Configuration Wizard] will then reduce these 3 directory structures under the shared storage to only 1 ? What is the trick here? I am sorry, if I am thinking too much.. But this not documented anywhere.
7. Last step is, When done installing SQL on all nodes you simply run the VCS SQL Configuration Wizard to create the new SQL service group.
PS: I am new to my company and company do not have proper documentations on how this setup was done previously and VCS clustering solution is pretty much new to me.
Thank you for your help on this,