Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 v4691 jobs fail: a000fe1f - The device cannot be found. Also can't install any service packs

Created: 23 Sep 2009 • Updated: 22 May 2010 | 4 comments

Recently, backup jobs have started failing with this error message:

Job name            : Weekday Backups
Job type            : Backup
Job status          : Failed
Job log             : C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Data\BEX02240.xml
Server name         : SPOT
Selection list name : Daily Backup
Device name         : CERTANCE 1
Target name         : CERTANCE 2 [0001..0005]
Media set name      : Weekday Backups
Error category    : Resource Errors
Error             : a000fe1f - The device cannot be found.

As far as I know, nothing else has changed about our backups.

I tried to update to service pack 5, hoping that would fix the problem.  I don't get any error messages when I do.  But when I check "About-> Help" in Backup Exec, it still says I'm using version 9.1 rev 4691

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

Ken Putnam's picture

But when I check "About-> Help" in Backup Exec, it still says I'm using version 9.1 rev 4691

Help about has never include service pack info (a common complaint, by the way).  You  can check the timestamps on several of the replacement file to see if the SP installed properly. ( The readme should include updated info for each file replaced)

As for the "device not found"
Are all BE services started and running?
From the Devices Tab, are the server and all devices started?

if you shut down all Backup Exec services, can NTBackup see and access all devices?

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"

lwithrow's picture

Wow, that's...that seems like something they might fix, say in a SERVICE PACK.

As far as I can see, all the services that start with "Backup Exec" are started.  All the devices/servers appear to be started (when I right-click them, there's a check next to "enabled")

Our backups are run on  one server (Toto), and we do a daily backup Toto, Bullpup, and Rover (using the remote backup client on the other two servers).  It's only Bullpup who's failing, and it seems to be only this "device" that has the problem.  Here's a bit more information from our error log:

Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Backup - BULLPUP
OFO: Initialization failure on: "\\BULLPUP\Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Yes.
OFO: Snapshot error (0xfffffe1f): The device cannot be found.

Unable to attach to \\BULLPUP\C:.
Unable to attach to \\BULLPUP\C:.
OFO: Initialization failure on: "\\BULLPUP\Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Yes.

Unable to attach to \\BULLPUP\E:.
Unable to attach to \\BULLPUP\E:.

Unable to attach to \\BULLPUP\W:.
Unable to attach to \\BULLPUP\W:.

I'm thinking the "device" in question isn't a physical device, but rather some kind of virtual device.  In fact, now that I think about it, this might be a DNS problem...

Ken Putnam's picture

Hmmm

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Remote Agent on that server?  Sometimes Voodoo tech support does work  ;-)

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"

BEsymc's picture

Is your target server Bullpup available? Please try ping to it. I dont think we are getting to this machine, when doing the backup. Please check your DNS and network connectivity.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.

Thanks