Video Screencast Help

Very poor speeds writing to disk Backup Exec 2010 R3

Created: 23 Nov 2013 | 2 comments
Hi there,

I have a D2D2T running daily differentials and a weekly full (on Friday) backup setup here and although working correctly I'm having huge problems getting a decent speed writing to the diskbox.

When the backups first start I get 1700mb/min which is great, after ~10mins they drop dramatically to around 100mb/min and when I have all 9 jobs running at the same time I get 60-80mb/min. Writing to tape, however, is much faster often exceeding 1000mb/min and never goes below 800mb/min.

As the setup previously worked without problems I presume I have made a mistake somewhere in Backup Exec 2010 R3.

I have 2 media sets:

One is named 'Daily Differential Backups' and has overwrite protection period of 2days and 'infinite - allow append'

The other is 'Weekly Full Backups' overwrite protection: 8days and 'infinite - allow append'

Under Policy settings of each of the jobs I have 'overwrite media' set when writing to the diskbox and 'append to media, overwrite if no media is available' for writing to tape.

I really don't know where I'm going wrong and was hoping somebody could help,

Regards,

Alex
Operating Systems:

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

You said that you have 9 jobs writing to your disk. This will definitely slow down the jobs because all the jobs are contending to write to the disk. Your tape jobs on the other hand are done one at a time so there is no contention, hence they are much faster. Try reducing the number of concurrent disk jobs. This should speed things up. Having more concurrent jobs does not meant that they will run faster overall

CraigV's picture

And make sure that any AV installed on your mega server isnot scanning the B2D folder. Exclude it either way.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...