Virtual SBS2011 on Hyper-V
Although I submitted another topic a few days ago, I would like to confirm a few things (prefereably with an employee). I have tried speaking to pre sales support but they have been pretty useless.
My questions are based around us purchasing the Backup Exec 2010 R2 for SBS package.
He is the scenario:
We plan to install the following hardware / software:
- 1 physical machine with tape drive (HP Ultrium) that runs Windows Server Standard 2008 (full edition) with Hyper-V role
- 2 virtual machines running in Hyper V, 1 is SBS 2011 the other being Server 2008 R2 Standard
- To have a tape backup every night, which includes files / folders / exchange that sit on the virtual SBS. There are no files or folders that need to be backed up on the physical machine or the virtual Server 2008 R2 machine
Our Questions / Concerns:
- For cost means, we would like to purchase the BU 2010R2 SBS bundle. We have purchased a few of these, and they include both Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R2 for SBS AND Symantec Backup Exec Server Recovery 2010 for SBS
- According to http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH125965 we can install Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R2 on the host machine using our SBS license in the pack mentioned above, provided that it is Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R2 and that a SBS guest running SBS2008 or later is running at the time of install.
I have received an email from a Symantec Employee that says the BU 2010 R2 for SBS package includes the following items:
- 1 Backup Exec 2010R2 for SBS license (which we would actually install on the physical machine running Server 2008 R2 Standard)
- 1 Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server
- 1 Agent for SQL Server
- 1 Agent for Microsoft SharePoint
- 1 Agent for Windows Systems included to protect the secondary SBS Premium Server
So, because this package includes these agents, can I confirm the following:
- I can install Backup Exec 2010 R2 on the physical Server 2008 R2 machine using the license from the pack above, as long as I have a guest running SBS2008 or later at the time of installation
- I can use the Microsoft Exchange Server agent included in the pack, to back up Exchange on my virtual SBS, even though backup exec is install on the host machine
- I can use the agent for Windows Systems to backup files / folders on my SBS, even though backup exec is install on the host machine (from some other reading and comments, I think I may not be able to do this and would have to purchase another windows agent to back up files / folder on the SBS). If I can't use this license on the SBS, can I use it on the virtual Server 2008 R2 standard machine?
If I could please have some clarification to all the points raised above, that would be great.
Thanks for your time.