Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Virtual Server 2003 machine being flagged as "Physical" in BE2012

Created: 12 Mar 2012 • Updated: 12 Mar 2012 | 8 comments
Steve Kratz's picture

Some of the jobs aren't completing properly due to an ESXi 5 guest 2003 Server not being tagged with the "Blue Window" indicating it's virtual. I've removed/re-added the agent, still shows the same thing. VMWare Tools ARE installed on the VM, and are the same version as my other VMs that are properly identified.

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

Did you install the RAWS in the VM AFTER you have installed VMTools?  If not, re-install the RAWS again.

Steve Kratz's picture

Yes, RAWS was installed last (and uninstalled/re-installed as well).

What does BE2012 look for in identifying whether or not a machine is a VM?

Jordon's picture

I have similar issues as well.

out of my 10 vm guests, 2 of them dont show they're virtualised.  one is windows server 2003 and the other is windows server 2008 r2. both have vmware tools and be agent installed.

shane.cullen's picture

I have the same issue, 2 of my 2008 R2 servers show up as Physical, yet both are virtual.

The one server that shows up as virtual, has no issue with snapshot / file GRT, however I cannot seem to get file GRT with the other 2. I'm wondering if this is any indication of an underlying issue.

Backup_Exec's picture

Hi Shane,

For your virtual machine which are shown as Physical please can you remove all the virtual machines & then please add them from ribbon next to ADD whic ADD vmware were enter the name of ESX or Vcenter & then check if that helps.(BUt before doing this once remove all the virtual machines from BE Console)

Also attaching the screenshot for same

Thanks

vmwaresnap.JPG

Sameer

Don't forget to give a "Thumbs Up" or Mark as "Solution" if someones advice has helped you.

shane.cullen's picture

Hi, 

Adding an ESXi server is not a problem, i can successfully add that (you cannot use that VMWARE server option to add a ESX guest)

However, after adding the ESXi server, I wish to add the virtual guests and have backup exec regsiter these guests as virtual machines (show up with blue icons). 

Currently i have 2 servers showing up as physical (that are virtual) and 1 server showing up as virtual (which is correct). 

All 3 of these servers were added at the same time, all have had RAWS reinstalled.

See the attached screenshot.

Thanks,

Ben L.'s picture

Are you backing up those machines through the VMware agent or the regular remote agent?

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"

Jordon's picture

I have the same symptoms exactly.  I back up through vmware agent.