Symantec IT Risk and Compliance Product Group

View Only
  • 1.  Virtualizing CCS 10.5 modules

Posted Feb 07, 2011 05:54 AM

Hi all,

we are currently preparing an installation of CCS (with SM, VM and PM modules) and I would like your advice on the number and types of CCS components that can run on virtualized environment. What I would like to know if any of the module components (ESM, DPS, Database(s), VM Module and RMS/Information Server) cannot run in virtualized environment, due to any software/hw restriction.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

Evangelos

• 2.  RE: Virtualizing CCS 10.5 modules

Posted Feb 07, 2011 11:18 AM

CCS can be installed in virtualized environment. All components work fine

• 3.  RE: Virtualizing CCS 10.5 modules

Posted Feb 08, 2011 01:40 AM

I agree, all compnents work absolutely fine in a virtual environmet

• 4.  RE: Virtualizing CCS 10.5 modules

Posted Feb 08, 2011 02:33 AM

My main consideration is regarding the VM module in 10.5, which seems to be requiring a rather "strong" piece of equipment to work. Have you tested to implement all components in virtualized environment?

• 5.  RE: Virtualizing CCS 10.5 modules
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 08, 2011 05:37 AM

The VM module by the nature of potentially using large amounts of RAM, Network is not encourgaged to be run on VM in large environments. Were you just doing a few hundred IP's, to a small thousands perhaps if you sized the VM properly with testing, but when you add in multiple scanners, SQL interaction, load, network, you should really only run on a dedicated RHEL or Win2K3 Server system.

• 6.  RE: Virtualizing CCS 10.5 modules

Posted Feb 08, 2011 08:43 AM

When you setup and work in a virtual environment - there will be a slight degrade in performance , this is a trade off vis a vis working on a base machine.

If the base machine has a large amount of RAM , This will help. - The VM module will work in a Virtual environment.

• 7.  RE: Virtualizing CCS 10.5 modules

Posted Feb 08, 2011 09:46 AM

Thank you for your answers. Do you know if the virtualized environment is supported by Symantec ? Will I be able to open a case, if CCS is installed in virtualized environment?

• 8.  RE: Virtualizing CCS 10.5 modules

Posted Feb 08, 2011 10:05 AM

Yes, it  is 100% supported

• 9.  RE: Virtualizing CCS 10.5 modules

Posted Feb 08, 2011 12:00 PM

Couple of things to think about:

• For v10,0, see page 77 of the CCS_Planning_and_Deployment Guide.pdf regarding "Server roles and virtualized servers."  It has some good recommendations there.
    • Consider where your MS SQL Server will reside to house your production, reporting, and evidence databases.  I wouldn't install all modules including MS SQL Server all on one virtual server as I'm sure you would see a performance degredation.
    • Make sure to leave plenty of disk space for the MS SQL Server as well - even if on the same physical server as the CCS components.
    • Lastly, depending on how many assets, where they're located, etc. you will want to plan where your SQEs will be located and how many you will need.

Aaron

• 10.  RE: Virtualizing CCS 10.5 modules

Posted Feb 08, 2011 03:22 PM

We've used a VM to act as a MQE for a small reporting area on the otherside of a firewall. WOrks well , but like everyone has mentioned it is not a large reporting domain area.