Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Vista Installation of SEP 11.0.4000_MR4 Does Not Complete and LiveUpdate not Connecting

• 1.  Vista Installation of SEP 11.0.4000_MR4 Does Not Complete and LiveUpdate not Connecting

Posted Jun 26, 2009 03:15 PM
    I have an open Case with Symantec #: 281665841

Trying to Install newly downloaded Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.4000_MR4 as Unmanaged Client on Dell Inspiron 1545 with Windows Vista Basic 32bit.  UAC (User Account Control) has been disabled, logged in as Administrator account.

Originally executed setup.exe, ran Installation for SEP Client, Custom Settings, installing only Core Files, Antivirus, Antispyware, and Proactive Threat Protection.  Windows Installer opens window shows Gathering required information..., then brings up the Live Update window for 2-3 seconds.  The Live Update window then disappears, and installer continues with "Time Remaining" countdown, then this is an ongoing loop of the SEP Installer, and the Live Update window cycling.  The installation never appears to finish.

During the time the Live Update Window is open, it's stuck on "Inializing...Connecting to liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com", and never gets any further then this.  If I cancel it, then it gets stuck on "LiveUpdate is aborting.  It may take a few moments for LiveUpdate to finish cleaning up", that I eventually have to end it with Task Manager.

I am able to ping liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com and perform a successful nslookup.  There is no content filtering software or firewall in place, just a straight connection to Cable Modem.

When called to Symantec, ran through CleanWipe utility v.3 several times, report was sent, but didn't appear any major errors were found.  Tried reinstalling it after running the utility, and the same issue persists.

Also, every time the comptuer is restarded, the "Gathering required information" installation process comes up.  This also occurs when double clicking on the icon in the task bar.

• 2.  RE: Vista Installation of SEP 11.0.4000_MR4 Does Not Complete and LiveUpdate not Connecting

Posted Jun 26, 2009 05:04 PM
    Maybe a malware is preventing that your AV works properly.
    Or some permission issues... try to run the process monitor and search for access denied entries.

• 3.  RE: Vista Installation of SEP 11.0.4000_MR4 Does Not Complete and LiveUpdate not Connecting

Posted Jun 27, 2009 08:10 PM
    Little more info maybe. I just read through the case logs on this issue, and didn't see the answers to a couple of questions that I would have asked. Was there any legacy anti-virus installed on this machine prior to the "failed" installation of the SEP software? Also was this a clean machine? It is technically possible that some sort of malware is blocking the installation somewhere (although since you can ping our liveupdate servers I doubt this). If I were you I would re-download the software just to make sure that there was nothing corrupt in the package you downloaded. I am going to keep following this case, and hopefully we hear something good back from the Symantec Techs.

Cheers
    Grant-

• 4.  RE: Vista Installation of SEP 11.0.4000_MR4 Does Not Complete and LiveUpdate not Connecting

Posted Jul 01, 2009 08:55 AM
    I am in the exact same spot as Greg.  Brand new out of the box Dell laptop.  Vista Home Premium w/ SP1  32bit.  UAC disabled.  McAfee did come preinstalled and has been removed.  Ran the clean wipe utility.  I have tried both 11.0.3 and 11.0.4  Installation loops and LiveUpdate never connects.  I can eventually cancel the installation and manually update the defs.  Ran a full scan and it doesn't find anything.  Need help!

Thanks

• 5.  RE: Vista Installation of SEP 11.0.4000_MR4 Does Not Complete and LiveUpdate not Connecting

Posted Jul 03, 2009 06:51 PM
    Sorry for the slow turn around. It would be helpful if you could call support and make a case for this (please post the case logs if you do so we can easily follow your issue). Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Grant-

@Greg  Hopeing to hear back from you on an update for this issue. If you could please update this post and the Symantec employee currently assigned to your case that would be great. Thanks.

• 6.  RE: Vista Installation of SEP 11.0.4000_MR4 Does Not Complete and LiveUpdate not Connecting

Posted Jul 08, 2009 02:22 AM
    I am in the same spot with a Dell Studio 1555.  
    Initial install was crashing other applications and Endpoint was crashing.

First part of the fix has been identified to do with the  "Application failed to initialize 0xc0150004 error "
    This is to do with a corrupt version of the MFC80.dll

Dell Article of Fix:  support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document

basically says:
    1. Browse to the Microsoft website to download a copy of the MFC80.dll file.   code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB961894/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx

2. Select the version that is correct for the language and bit version of your operating system.

The file is a redistributable hot fix and has a name such as Vcredist_x86.exe (regular 32 bit) or _X64 (64 bit OS). For example,
    ENU (vcredist_x86.exe) is for English 32 bit.

Now this has fxed a lot of problems, but I still seem to be stuck in an install loop.  I'm not sure if this is due to the "Windows Installer" or Symantec Installer.

MSI Log says:
     MSI (s) (DC:00) [15:42:01:695]: Note: 1: 1729
    MSI (s) (DC:00) [15:42:01:695]: Product: Symantec Endpoint Protection -- Configuration failed.

Event Log 1:
    MsiInstaller 1004 None Detection of product '{06B594A0-2D2B-4376-94E4-13A0BD4A88F8}', feature 'Core', component '{97F81AF1-0E47-DC99-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18E}' failed. The resource '' does not exist.

Event Log 2:
    MsiInstaller 1001 None Detection of product '{06B594A0-2D2B-4376-94E4-13A0BD4A88F8}', feature 'Core' failed during request for component '{C7212F42-5794-4F22-A86D-0D9E7392F7E8}'

Hope that this helps diagnose the issue

• 7.  RE: Vista Installation of SEP 11.0.4000_MR4 Does Not Complete and LiveUpdate not Connecting

Posted Jul 08, 2009 05:04 AM
    There could be a pending installation, can you check the task manager if there's a process named msiexec.exe?

Btw, what's your current Windows installer version?

• 8.  RE: Vista Installation of SEP 11.0.4000_MR4 Does Not Complete and LiveUpdate not Connecting

Posted Jul 09, 2009 12:37 AM
    Currently this is running on a Windows Vista 32 Home Premium with Service Pack 2 installed
    Windows Installer version:  4.5.6002.18005

Other applications seem to install fine - AutoCad, MS Office etc

Have uninstalled application (it seems to leave LiveUpdate 3.3) i uninstall this seperately
       get message  "determined you still have Symantec programs installed ..  "  there are none

uninstall.   also run "Windows Install Cleanup"  no apps left

reboot, reinstall  ..  install loops again

• 9.  RE: Vista Installation of SEP 11.0.4000_MR4 Does Not Complete and LiveUpdate not Connecting

Posted Jul 09, 2009 01:48 AM
    The Loop on Install  is:

"Please wait while Windows configures Symantec Endpoint Protection"

Gathering required information .....     configures ..   etc,   LiveUpdate Runs,   repeat

• 10.  RE: Vista Installation of SEP 11.0.4000_MR4 Does Not Complete and LiveUpdate not Connecting

Posted Jul 27, 2009 04:15 PM
    I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Had a case open for a week with symantec and the technicians were not able to fix the issue. The workaround was to install another vendor's AV software. I tried all 11 versions and they do the same thing; loop. This DELL 1545 was a brand new machine running Vista SP1 and I also reformatted the system but installation of SEP 11.0x is impossible on these systems.