VM snapshot was not deleted from vCenter after Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP2 completed its backup
We are using Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3 SP2 and we do backups of VMs. The settings of the backup job in backing up VMDK are as follows:
- Device: Deduplication Storage Folder
- Transport mode priority list (SAN, Hotadd, NBD, NBDSSL)
- Back up virtual machines that are powered off (checked)
- Use GRT (checked)
- Enable application GRT (checked)
- AOFO (unchecked)
We do Full Backup of the VMDK every Friday and daily Differential Backup from Monday to Thursday and I also understand that the backup process of VMDK goes as described below based on http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH155831:
- Backup Exec backup job starts
- Backup Exec tells VMware to create a snapshot of VMDK through vCenter
- vCenter creates and mounts the snapshot to the datacenter and it now becomes the "active" snapshot (virtual machine is now running from that snaphsot)
- Backup Exec then gets the ESX host and guest virtual machine information from vCenter it needs to access or backup
- Backup Exec opens a connection with the ESX to ask for the virtual machine metadata
- Using vStorage APIs, Backup Exec then opens a direct data connection to the “unknown” SAN volumes and the virtual machine data is offloaded directly to the media server for backup
- “Extracting the Backup Data from the Target Virtual Machine”
- “Deleting the Temporary Snapshot”
- Once the backup completes, Backup Exec disconnects from the ESX host and vCenter
- Backup Exec runs a verify (by default) of the data backed up
- Backup job completes.
The problem starts here, when Symantec BE backup job starts, it will tell VMware to create a snapshot of the VMDK through vCenter and when the backup completes, Symantec will again tell VMware to delete the snapshot. What we observed is that, the created snapshot last 07/30/2012 was not deleted from vCenter, it is still existing until now. On the VMware side, a server running on snapshot is not a best practice because if the server is running on snapshot, storage vMotion is not possible. I would like to know if this issue is on Symantec BE or on VMware and what could be the possible cause of this incident? We wanted to remove this snapshot but we would definitely need any suggestions from any.
Any comments on this is greatly appreciated!! Thank a lot in advance!