Video Screencast Help

VMWare backups - scheduler found no backups due to run(200)

Created: 20 Nov 2012 • Updated: 06 Dec 2012 | 22 comments
Willie_SA's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

when running policy the following error:

scheduler found no backups due to run(200)

I have made screen shots of the full policy and error and attaach WORD doc.

Find all VMClients are Excluded.

Comments 22 CommentsJump to latest comment

Mark_Solutions's picture

What did you do to create that query? It looks like you used the advanced feature and entered it manually.

What exactly do you want it to back up using the query?

If all are excluded then when the job runs there will be nothing to do and hence the parent job will  fail with a status 200.

Let us know what you are trying to acheive

Authorised Symantec Consultant

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.

Willie_SA's picture

I am trying to backup all the systems(Clients) in the VM environment under the VCentre.

Marianne's picture

Hi Willie

2 suggestions from my side:

In Clients tab.
1. Try 'Select Manually' to confirm that backup server can connect to ESX/vCenter to browse VM's.
2. read through chapter 6 (Configure automatic selection of virtual machines for backup ) in NBU for VMware manual. Add some criteria (e.g ESXserver Equal  <name>), then select 'Test Query' before you try the backup.

Supporting Storage Foundation and VCS on Unix and Windows as well as NetBackup on Unix and Windows
Handy NBU Links

Mark_Solutions's picture

I looked in a test policy and could not replicate your query automatically
Make a new query using vcenter equals the name of your vcenter server (with its name in quotes) then test that query
Hope this helps

Don't forget to "Mark as Solution" if someones advice has solved your issue - and please bring back the Thumbs Up!!.

Willie_SA's picture

I selected the Manual option and could see and add all the Virtual servers.

Adding them now has added them as clients in the policy. That seems good.

Now test run manual backup against one of the VM systems. In this case I took the actual Master server as I know a normal Policy for ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES works.

Now get SNAP error for this transport mode. (See attached file with error)

what is the transport mode?

AttachmentSize
Error 21 Nov.docx 13.83 KB
Mark_Solutions's picture

In the snapshot options you need to select the transport mode to use for the VMWare backups.

Any media server can do them over the LAN (nbd) as long as that server (VM Backup Host) has been specified under the Master Servers Host Properties.

If you have zoned your VM BAckup Host via fibre to the DataStore LUNS then you can also use fibre (san)

The choice is yours

Normally you would specify a media server as the VM Backup Host that has the data stores mapped via Fibre and select san as the transport method.

Willie_SA's picture

They did zone the Data stores to the Media server on the SAN switch.

I do not know exactly how I know that the Media server can defnitally 'see' the data store - but it is zoned.

So my idea is axactly as you indicate to transfer the data directly from the Datastore to the tape drives attached to the media server.

So I will need to look at changing that transport method to SAN. I do not know where to do that - can you please give me direction.

Mark_Solutions's picture

In the Snapshot Options there is the transfer type

You docx shows it set to try all so make sure you specify the media server as the vmware backup host and change it to san

Also make sure your media server is added to the Master Host Properties as a VMWare backup host

Willie_SA's picture

ok , will change it just now, and test.

Media server is correctly specified as VMware backup host.

Nearly there - will keep you posted.

TX

Willie_SA's picture

I have changed the transport type to 'san' - but the error is still the same.

I added a doc to show action and error.

AttachmentSize
Error 21 Nov 2.docx 78.01 KB
Mark_Solutions's picture

On your vmbackup host (the media server) please create the bpVMutil, bpfis, bpcd, bpbkar and bpbrm logs directories

Also go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Veritas > VxMS

Make a note of the Logging DWORD value and then change it to 7580 in hexadecimal

then rerun the backup of a server and attach the logs which will include the one from

\Program Files\Common Files\VERITAS\VxMS\Logs

Could you also send screen shots of the following:

Master Server Host Properties - VMWare Access Hosts

Credentials - Virtual Machine Servers

Policy - Attributes, Clients and Backup Selections sections

Thanks

Willie_SA's picture

Hi,

I will collect the logs for you

BUT

I have discoverred that the DataStores are not 'presented' to the Media server. So from the media server in Computer => Manage => Disk, I cannot see the DataStores as non identfier disks.

I asked them to check the zoning on the SAN for me.

Do you think that is part of this error?

Any comments, please.

TX

Mark_Solutions's picture

If they are not visible then you cannot use the san option., but you could use nbd - best to specify one or the other as i have seen the "try any" option to not always work

So you could select nbd and try it again once the logging is in place

Willie_SA's picture

Attached find file with the logs and screen dumps as requested.

Hope it is enough - if you need additional information I can gather for you.

Thank you

AttachmentSize
On your vmbackup host.docx 491.81 KB
Mark_Solutions's picture

The VxMs logs are located at:

\Program Files\Common Files\VERITAS\VxMS\Logs

Looks like I will need these to troubleshoot further

Do check host name resolution all round - make sure media server resolves the vCenter Server and the master server (your client) using short and FQDN

Also - is there a reason that you have selected to use port 443 for vCenter? Did you select to validate the credentials?

What version of NBU are you using on the Master and Media Server?

Willie_SA's picture

I tried to answer all your questions in the attached file.

BUT

And I do not want to confuse things but I discoverred that if i run ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES policy against the vCentre server as normal backup, the jobs kick off, request tape(and gets mounted), position and give message of Begin writing, BUT it just sits there. Never gets to write any data. Maybe this is part of the problem. I am also attaching a file with this information.

AttachmentSize
The VxMs logs are located at.docx 260.9 KB
Backup of VCenter.docx 13.99 KB
Yasuhisa Ishikawa's picture

Add ESX hostname into DNS(if used) or hosts file so that the VMware backup host can resolve their IP address. NBD transport failed because VMware backup host can not resolve ESX's IP address.

Authorized Symantec Consultant(ASC) Data Protection in Tokyo, Japan

SOLUTION
Willie_SA's picture

They gave me the following information:

There are 3 ESX hosts pragppvmw01/2/3

I added the names to the hosts file as i could not ping them.

Now i can ping pragppvmw01 but NOT 02 and 03. I attached the pings from Master and Media(same output) servers. There is no where in NBU where I refer to these ESX servers, is this correct?

I tested the job again after pinging 01 - same error occured.

Thank you

AttachmentSize
Ping to ESX servers from NetBackup Master server.docx 125.11 KB
Willie_SA's picture

I have finally managed to add the ESX servers to the correct Domain settings and ensure communication between the Master/Media servers and the ESX hosts.

AND now the backups are working. They are only working as LAN backups - but atleast there is a backup.

When I change TRANSPORT to SAN it fails again with Error 13 - But I will investigate and/or open new Connect when required.

Thank you all for the help.

Willie_SA's picture

Yasuhisa Ishikawa - If I may ask, What message in the attachments(files) i sent through indicated to you that the ESX servers connection are not resolved?

TX

Yasuhisa Ishikawa's picture

Sorry to be late. I realized lookup problem with this line in VxMS log.

11/29/2012 13:55:24.0069 : g_vdInterfaceLogger:.\libvix.cpp:1683 <INFO> : Cnx_Connect: Error message: Host address lookup for server pragppvmw03 failed: No such host is known

When using SAN transport, VMware Backup Host have to be able to access datastore directy via SAN. Please check your SAN connectivity first. If you could not find out any problem with SAN connectivity, come back here with new post.

Authorized Symantec Consultant(ASC) Data Protection in Tokyo, Japan

Willie_SA's picture

Thank you very much.

They checking the SAN configuration for me, as I seem to be unable to connect with DataStore/s - but it is going to take time. Will keep you posted.

TX