VMWare Backups using SLPs & MSDPs
Running NetBackup 220.127.116.11, using Media Server Deduplication Pools, and trying to back up some large file servers that are VMWare guests. When doing full backups to tape, it just takes too long. Created an SLP to write to the disk pools, Set up the policy, but it complained about needing a Snapshot entry in the SLP. The full backups wrote fine, however, the incrementals fail (status 27). Here's what I'm trying to do:
- Write the VMware backups to the disk pools
- Then get duplicated to tape
We have very long retentions on these, so I know I can't keep them on the disk pool for their life span. However, I can keep them there at least 2 weeks to take advantage of the deduplication.
- Should I use SLPs for this? If so, How do I set it up, if it requires a "Snapshot" entry in it. I've done the Backup with a Duplication step below it.
- How does the retention and the duplication to tape work with that setup?
- If I don't use SLPs and write to the disk pool directly, how does that get duplicated to tape, if at all?
It seems it would be pretty straightforward, but I'm running into little roadblocks constantly while trying to set this up.