Video Screencast Help
Symantec Appoints Michael A. Brown CEO. Learn more.

VMWare snapshot of an Exchange 2007 server on VSphere 5

Created: 18 May 2012 | 2 comments

I'm having a series of problems in backing up an Exchange 2007 virtual server (server 2008R2) on VSphere 5.

I use Backup Exec 2010, I have it fully updated and the agent on the server has been de-installed and re-installed within the last week.

The re-install of the agent was to overcome a problem with VSphere 5 been updated and putting its own VSS application onto the server. The reinstallation was recommended in order to restore the balance and have the sever backed up using the proper Symantec VSS..

Anyway in order to get things working we've discovered (on other servers) that's its not a good idea to have any of the GRT options enabled so they're all switched off for this backup. This has enabled other virtualised servers to backup and recover successfully but the Exchange server remains a problem.

Basically the backup starts and proceeds to plan, but in the last two instances of the backup it has failed.

The symptoms are that the Byte count stops incrementing toward the end of the backup but the elapsed time count remains counting. The status remains as running too, so on both occasions I've left the job running.

After a period of around an hour though Exchange stops working, you get a mkservices error on the VMWare Console:

unable to connect to the MKS: error connecting to /bin/vmx process.

The two times this has happened has caused a lot of consternation in the organisation and I have had to cancel the backup. The cancel process takes a rather hairy twenty minutes and once it had completed the Exchange server pops back into life.

Any ideas welcome but:

Do you reckon it could complete if I just left it and suffered the complaints.

Should I perhaps enable the Exchange GRT????

Unfortunately this backup takes over 24 hours so anyone with experience of this problem would be very greatly appreciated.

Apologies too if I've placed this in the incorrect forum posting area - if the forum administrator could poke it in the right direction then I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Cheers,

Bill

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

Are you using R3?  If not, I would suggest that you upgrade to BE 2010 R3 which is the latest version. Your existing licence keys will work.  You can download BE 2010 R3 from either the fileconnect site or

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

After your upgrade, do not forget to run LiveUpdate a couple of time to update it to SP2 and the latest hotfixes.

After you have upgraded to R3, push out the remote agent again.
ZeRoC00L's picture

unable to connect to the MKS: error connecting to /bin/vmx process

Can be a corrupt VMX file, see here:
http://ambitech.blogspot.com/2011/05/esxesxi-4x-unable-to-connect-to-mks.html

If this response answers your concern, please mark it as a "solution"