Video Screencast Help

Volume Replicator(VVR) demo license on x86_64 solaris

Created: 25 Jun 2012 | 8 comments

Can anyone let me know how can I get a VVR (Veritas Volume Replicator) demo license?  I need to test this on dev environment so that they can buy if it works according to our need.  This is to test on a VCS RAC cluster.

Sanal

Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 8 CommentsJump to latest comment

mikebounds's picture

From 5.1 you don'y need to enter demo licences as they are built into product

UK Symantec Consultant in VCS, GCO, SF, VVR, VxAT on Solaris, AIX, HP-ux, Linux & Windows

If this post has answered your question then please click on "Mark as solution" link below

mikebounds's picture

Just to add, you can set which product you want to use using vxkeyless command:

1. View the current setting for the product level.
    # vxkeyless [-v] display

2. View the possible settings for the product level
    # vxkeyless displayall

3. Set the desired product level.
    # vxkeyless [-q] set prod_levels
Mike

UK Symantec Consultant in VCS, GCO, SF, VVR, VxAT on Solaris, AIX, HP-ux, Linux & Windows

If this post has answered your question then please click on "Mark as solution" link below

Sanal's picture

Thanks a lot, just completing the cluster build in a couple of days.  I will test it after that.  How long is the demo license valid ?

Gaurav Sangamnerkar's picture

VVR product is encoded with vxvm, as indicated by Mike, 5.1 would have built in demo license for VVR for 60 days ... while installation of product you would be asked below:

You are prompted to choose your licensing method.

To comply with the terms of Symantec's End User License Agreement, 
you have 60 days to either:

* Enter a valid license key matching the functionality in use on the
  systems
* Enable keyless licensing and manage the systems with a 
  Management Server. For more details visit 
  http://go.symantec.com/sfhakeyless. The product is fully functional 
  during these 60 days.

1)  Enter a valid license key
     2)  Enable keyless licensing and complete system licensing later

How would you like to license the systems? [1-2,q] (2)

If you have a valid license key, select 1 and enter the license key at the prompt. Skip to step 16 .

To install using keyless licensing, select 2. You are prompted for the product modes and the options that you want to install and license.

& then you need to say "y" to:

If you are going to use the Veritas Volume Replicator, enter y at the following prompt:

Would you like to enable Veritas Volume Replicator [y,n,q] (n) y

If you have product prior to 5.1, you need to get demo license key from sales representative or Symantec account manager

G

PS: If you are happy with the answer provided, please mark the post as solution. You can do so by clicking link "Mark as Solution" below the answer provided.

Sanal's picture

The VCS SFRAC here will be installed as a customised internal script developed by engineering team.  How do I enable VVR in that case ?  can I run vxinstall or something after RAC build is complete ?

mikebounds's picture

I can't remember if you get chance to enter multiple products for keyless licence, but I would imagine you do, but if you don't you can add extra keys as in post above.  This is all you need to do to enable VVR, except if you enable licence via vxkeyless you would need to reboot to start daemons or restart manually.

You then create VVR objects using vradmin command.

As Gaurav says the licence is for 60 days, but it will still work after 60 days, but you will get warnings in logs which will get more frequent the longer you leave it (nagware)

Mike

jdangelo_symc's picture

Please take a look at this connect post:

Mike and Gaurav answered this one already once before :o)

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-enable-vvr-51sp1