Video Screencast Help

VPN (Firewall ) Recommendations Needed (Using Backup Exec 2012)

Created: 10 Dec 2012 • Updated: 04 Mar 2013 | 2 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

I am the IT Administrator of a small medical practice. We want to back up from the practice to the doctor’s home for off-site backup, and have a server there, just for this purpose. Currently, between the SQL database, medical images and patient documents, I am attempting to back up around 160GB of data every 24 hours. I am using Symantec Backup Exec 2012 with the compression enabled. And I am finding that our firewalls (Cisco RV042) are the bottlenecks, and can only sustain about 300kb a sec transfer rate. My Internet connections (with same provider) on both sides are 30MB down, and 10MB up. I thought getting Backup Exec 2012 would fix the problem by compressing the backups, but I think it is time to replace the firewalls. Can someone please recommend a hardware solution with throughput for this scenario? I am sure that many of you Symantec Backup Exec users have had experiences like this. Any advice would be much appreciated. Please and thank you.

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

pkh's picture

I doubt anyone would be able to give you the advice you need.  Each environment is different.  You would just have to test out some equipment and see whether it improves the situation.

teiva-boy's picture

I can tell you the router is not the bottleneck.  That router can easily handle multiple Mbps of throughput out the WAN port.

With 160GB, you CANNOT transfer that in 24hours with a 10Mb link too.  Thats simple math and physics.  You need closer to 25-30Mbps upload, and even that when not factoring in latency and dropped packets that BackupExec absolutely cannot deal with.

You also cannot compress images, and often you'll find that each image compressed increases in size by a few KB, and add that up over thousands of patients becomes additional MB's of data, and further increases your bandwidth requirements.

To sum up, what you are doing today will not work as is.  You may want to test out the dedupe option and perform clcient-side dedupe, while pre-staging the data locally first.  You can enable it as a trial.

There is an online portal, save yourself the long hold times. Create ticket online, then call in with ticket # in hand :-) http://mysupport.symantec.com "We backup data to restore, we don't backup data just to back it up."

SOLUTION