Data Loss Prevention

View Only
  • 1.  vrtam.sys Causing 0000003b Blue Screens

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jun 17, 2014 11:13 AM

I have about a dozen Windows 7 SP1 x64 Ent. computers that are regularly getting a 0x0000003b blue screen caused by vrtam.sys.  I had this issue with 11.6.1 and updated these clients to 12.0.1 and the problem persists.

There is nothing in the edpa0.log file and nothing in the Windows Event log.

Any thoughts? 

• 2.  RE: vrtam.sys Causing 0000003b Blue Screens

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 18, 2014 07:32 PM

Hi HighTower,

When a computer Blue Screens, let the computer finish generating the crash dump file (progress of this process will be displayed on the blue screen). The computer will automatically reboot; if not, then manually reboot the computer.

Once the computer comes back up again:

1. Run the msinfo32 tool from command line and save the system information to a file msinfo.nfo.

2. Now locate the memory.dmp file under windows directory.

3. Create a zip of both these files and call it crashreport.zip

4. Send the zip file to support.

I hope this helps. We will likely need to investigate the issue further. 11.6.3/12.0.1 are the same and should not have blue screen issues. Have you tried the 12.5 client yet?

Ryan

• 3.  RE: vrtam.sys Causing 0000003b Blue Screens

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jun 23, 2014 11:47 AM
      |   view attached

I do have the complete dump file and I've attached the analysis to this post.  We intend on moving to 12.5 but do not have that working.  Can I use a 12.5 client with a 12.0.1 backend?

• 4.  RE: vrtam.sys Causing 0000003b Blue Screens

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 23, 2014 12:49 PM

HighTower,

The communication layer is totally new in 12.5 and as such is incompatible with an older version of the server. The 12.5 server does support a v11/v12 agent, but with limitations. You have to explicitly turn the old communication layer on per server.

If you would like to see this issue looked at by Engineering, you will need to open a case. I am not that familiar with all the Blue Screen Codes.

Best,

Ryan

• 5.  RE: vrtam.sys Causing 0000003b Blue Screens

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Jun 24, 2014 04:04 PM

FYI, I've opened an incident.  Based on what vrtam.sys actually does this will be a tough issue to crack.  And lots of waiting as it's not reproducable and it happens on its own every 10-28 days :)