Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

VSS backup of Exchange in Backup Exec 2012

Created: 14 Oct 2013 • Updated: 15 Oct 2013 | 4 comments
KeirL's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi

In order to get a VSS snapshot backup of exchange do I need to enable the VSS snapshot technology in AOFO.

I've read many times that this should be disabled - so will Backup Exec use VSS to snapshot the exchange without this ticked as I've also read that exchange backups take a lot longer with the AOFO unchecked.

So I'm a little confused as to if I should untick the AOFO option and if I do why do backups take longer and is VSS being used anyway?

many thanks

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

lmosla's picture

Yes, for Exchange GRT backups AOFO should be disabled.  Exchange 2010 uses snapshots by default but in the job you need to make sure you have GRT selected if you desire to have GRT restore capabilities. 

Please see pg 483 of the Backup Exec Admin guide. http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5211 

KeirL's picture

Thanks very much

For my environment this is Exchange 2003 running on Windows 2003 so does this make any difference? Does Exchange 2003 use snapshots by default in the same way as Exchange 2010 does?

kind regards

Jaydeep S's picture

If you are using Exchange 2003, I would suggest you not to perfrom any snapshot backups. In Exchange 2003 if you use AOFO to backup Exchange database, you would loose the ability to redirect it if it comes to a restore situation. A snapshot backup of Exchange 2003 database can't even be restored to a Recovery Storage Group or in case of a DR to a different.new server.

SOLUTION