Video Screencast Help

VSS Snapshot warning using BUE 2012 remote agent

Created: 12 Apr 2013 • Updated: 15 Apr 2013 | 6 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Backup Exec 2012 remote agent running on Windows Server 2008 R2. Full and incremental updates end with an exception with the following error:

Backup- \\pro-point\System?State
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\program files (x86)\symantec\backup exec system recovery\shared\drivers\symsnapservicex64.exe is not present on the snapshot.

I've found some solutions for BUE 2010 but not 2012. Any suggestions on how to fix this? All updates have been applied. Thanks in advance.

Operating Systems:

Comments 6 CommentsJump to latest comment

CraigV's picture

Hi,

The solutions for BE 2010 would be the same...create a dummy file in the same location as the above file, which should ensure that the snapshot error disappears.

Thanks!

Alternative ways to access Backup Exec Technical Support:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/alte...

SOLUTION
bballlal's picture

The solutions I found in the forums talked about registering services. Nothing I read talked about creating a dummy file. The referenced directory in the error is "c:\program files (x86)\symantec\backup exec system recovery\shared\drivers\symsnapservicex64.exe"....On server being backed up...all I have in the x86 program files is c:\program files (x86)\symantec\live update.

You're saying all I have to do is create the folder structure to where it's looking for the symsnapservicex64.exe file and just create a dummy file there? That file isn't needed for anything? Why is this one server out of the 15 being backed up the only one with this error? Something is weird.

bballlal's picture

Thanks, looks like it's the same thing that CraigV suggested but it was good to see why it happened a more in depth solution. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

VJware's picture

Why it happened ?

Most probably due to the fact Symantec System Recovery was installed & uninstalled from that server but leaving certain traces.

Or if the application is still installed, either the installation did not run properly or there is a possible corruption.

bballlal's picture

Thanks. I created the dummy file and the error disappeared.