Vstorage Incremental backups
I have read so much about various Netbackup/ESX/VMWARE versions and functionailty and just seem to get myself more confused at times. Hopefully You can help.
- Master - 7.0.1
- Backup host/media Server - 7.0.1
- ESX Server - 3.5 Update 1
- Vcenter - 4.1 Update 2
- VMX hardware - 4
- VM attributes - Linux OS currently 2TB in size. (Due to be expanded to 8TB)
- Policy attributes - Daily full backup
- Netbackup Plans - Due to upgrade to 18.104.22.168 in next 6-8 weeks
- ESX Plans - Due to upgrade ESX to 4.x and VMWARE tools/hardware. (No ETA)
- My first question is would it be possible to introduce incremental backups with the above setup ?
- I believe you can run incremental backups, but without BLIB. Is there any downsides to introducing an incremental schedule as i,s or should we stay with fulls until either VMWARE/NBU is updated ?
- We have requested that the VMWARE team refrain from expanding the vm to 8TB until we have upgraded to NBU 7.5, as I understand that in 7.5 only the used blocks will be backed up. Where as now if they allocate 8TB but only use 3TB, the whole 8TB would have have to be backed up daily. (Again I suppose this also relates to whether an incremental schedule can be introduced.)
- Does 7.5 support non-BLIB incremental backups?
Would appreciate if you can give me some pointers if you don't believe we are approaching this in the right way.
Thanks and regards