Video Screencast Help

VxVM VVR vradmin ERROR V-5-52-803 Lost connection to host x.x.x.x_SecondaryHost; terminating command execution VxVM VVR vradmin ERROR V-5-52-802 cannot start command execution on Secondary

Created: 03 Jul 2012 • Updated: 03 Aug 2012 | 4 comments
Zahid.Haseeb's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Environment

OS = Linux Redhat 6.2

Storage Foundation version = 6.0 with RP1

NIC's = two  ..  One NIC(eth0) for users access and second NIC(eth1) is dedicated to replication.

connectivity = Both primary and secondary site nodes can ping successfully

Problem

My eth0 has a default gateway to forward the request if locally does not fulfill. My eth1 has a static route configured to make a connection(I define here static route on primary node/LinuxBox as we cannot add two default gateway's each on each NIC on one system ) between primary site to secondary site.

let supose while establish replication and after running the createpri command succesfully when I run the addsec command I gets the following error(between primary eth1 and secondary eth1 NIC on which static route is configured)...Although I can successfully ping the secondary Site Node .... but when I remove the static route and add the default gateway on eth1 (and also remove gateway from eth0 ) I can successfully ran the addsec command .. My question is that why on the static route between primary and secondary Site cannot support the addsec command.

(One more thing to clear the point more: In the first configuration above if I try to eatablish the replication between eth0 from primary to secondary which is configured on gateway , I can successfully run the addsec command)

#vradmin -g Diskgroup addsec RVGname DataVol SRLVol

VxVM VVR vradmin ERROR V-5-52-803 Lost connection to host x.x.x.x_SecondaryHost; terminating command execution
VxVM VVR vradmin ERROR V-5-52-802 cannot start command execution on Secondary

Please Note the command which I ran to add the static route on Linux box:

route add -host destinationSite_IP_for Replication gw Gateway_Of_Machine dev ethx

Discussion Filed Under:

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

mikebounds's picture

If the addsec works with one network config and not with another then this suggests there is a problem with the network config.  If you provide more details about the networks I may be able to tell what is wrong.  Complete details of network would be useful, but at least need to know if eth0 and eth1 are in the same subnet which it sounds like they are.

Mike

UK Symantec Consultant in VCS, GCO, SF, VVR, VxAT on Solaris, AIX, HP-ux, Linux & Windows

If this post has answered your question then please click on "Mark as solution" link below

Zahid.Haseeb's picture

If the addsec works with one network config and not with another then this suggests there is a problem with the network config.

Me still wonder that I can send the ping traffic from primary Site via eth1 to the eth1 of secondary Site IP Address ( when static route is configured ). command is

ping eth1_IP_Address_of_Secondary_Site -I eth1

=======

but at least need to know if eth0 and eth1 are in the same subnet which it sounds like they are

I am using class B at primary and secondary site

Primary Site

eth0 # 172.16.x.x

eth1 # 172.16.x.x

Secondary Site

eth0 # 172.17.x.x

eth1 # 172.17.x.x

Any comment will be appreciated. Mark as Solution if your query is resolved

zahidhaseeb.wordpress.com

Zahid.Haseeb's picture

One more thing I would like to clear here is. The static route is configure from Linux Box to first router at each Site. 

Zahid.Haseeb's picture

Thanks mike for your kind help: Actually that problem should be done at Network Engineer side but we did it on our Linux Box. The below link helped me alot. See the below for reference through which I can add two Gateway:

http://www.linuxhorizon.ro/iproute2.html

SOLUTION