Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  WARNING-- CHECK YOUR MD5! 12.1.5 Part1 Eng in US wrong on Fileconnect

Posted Oct 02, 2014 12:23 PM

Fileconnect is delivering a bad package for the SEP 12.1.5 Part1 English in the US and India. The fils is only 488MB and fails the MD5 check provided on the Fileconnect web site. I downloaded the same file at my China location and recieved the proper 549MB file that passes the MD5.

The extracted file count is diffrent US and India download = 905 files China download = 909 files.

I installed the US version on my US server before noticing the issue.. the upgrade from SEPM 12.1.4 seemed to go ok.. but I did notice this server is missing the 2 Linux install packages. The same upgrade I did in China did have the Linux packages.. so I PRAY that's the only difference!

See attached screen shots to compare downloaded file, MD5's and extracted folder content.

I put in a ticket with Symantec and worked with an eng for a while.. basically ending the call after showing him someon the uploads files to FileConnect screwed up... The put the wrong file on the US and India servers... 

Just a warning to all you guys... if you get a 488mb file for the Part1 installer... it will not match the MD5 provided on the FileConnect www site!!!

CNfiles.JPGUSfiles.JPG

CNdownload.JPGUSdownload.JPG

fileconnect.JPG

• 2.  RE: WARNING-- CHECK YOUR MD5! 12.1.5 Part1 Eng in US wrong on Fileconnect

Posted Oct 02, 2014 12:26 PM

Thanks for posting.

I had the same issue awhile but re-downloaded and it was fine. Thought it was just me but I've seen a few posts on this over the past week.

• 3.  RE: WARNING-- CHECK YOUR MD5! 12.1.5 Part1 Eng in US wrong on Fileconnect

Posted Oct 02, 2014 12:53 PM

I must have downloaded it 20 times trying to figure it out... I wanted to rule out my browsers, computer, download manager, http download, tried at different plants our company has around the world.. and found my locations in China downloaded the proper file.. the other locations download the 488mb file.

Further WARNING.. the Symantec download manager thing.. will SAY it's downloading a 549MB file and it completed successfully.. but when you go look at your file.. it's only 488mb.. and fails the MD5..

So that also begs the question.. why does the Symantec download manager not even notice the file size does not match what it thinks it's downloading!! Great quality all around... 

also find this funny.. I can't spell and for some reason the browser built in spell check does not work with this awful forum site.. so I use the spell check feature that is built into the forum... The built in spell checker does not know how to spell Symantec... lol... ya think they would have added that one... 

• 4.  RE: WARNING-- CHECK YOUR MD5! 12.1.5 Part1 Eng in US wrong on Fileconnect

Posted Oct 02, 2014 12:55 PM

Still.. sitting here watch the correct file transfer from China to my US location.. I can't believe they did not check the MD5 of the files THEY uploaded to the delivery network! I also can't believe the Symantec download manager does not check the MD5 of the downloaded file!! I meen really!!! Go look into some opensource java download managers you can include on your web site that will ensure the file that's delivered is proper!

• 5.  RE: WARNING-- CHECK YOUR MD5! 12.1.5 Part1 Eng in US wrong on Fileconnect

Posted Oct 02, 2014 01:43 PM

I have duplicated your results on 3 different downloads.  The file was 488 MB each time with a MD5 different then what they list on the download site. I already have rolled 12.1.5 out to 30 US windows machines with no problems noted.  From my perspective I don't have an issue but definitely is sloppy on Symantec's part.