Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Warnings when performing backup with BackupExec 2012

Created: 01 Oct 2013 • Updated: 01 Oct 2013 | 3 comments

Hi all,

I need your help in order to understand some exceptions I'm having on my database backups daily.

My backup process consists on performing a snapshot of the lun which holds the database files. After that, I have a process the is called when the backup starts, using the pre and post commands. 

The pre command mounts the SnapedShot LUN in the server, backs up to tape, and the post command unmounts the LUN.

The whole process works, I even tried restoring the database into another DBMS and it is OK. However, since we use notifications and some notifications turn into alerts, it is generating alerts every night.

The job completes with the following description:

Completed status: Completed with exceptions    

Backup- SRV-BACKUP.MyDomain.com

- Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "\\SRV-BACKUP.MyDomain.com\D:". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS). V-79-10000-11219 - VSS Snapshot error. The volume or snapped volume may not be available or may not exist. Check the configuration of the snapshot technology, and then run the job again. 

V-79-10000-11219 - VSS Snapshot error. The volume or snapped volume may not be available or may not exist. Check the configuration of the snapshot technology, and then run the job again.

The server itself doesn't have VSS running, or configured. This exception happens on the post command phase. The script is a simple lun unmap and destroy of the mount.

What more can it be related to?

Thanks

Nuno Silva

Operating Systems:

Comments 3 CommentsJump to latest comment

lmosla's picture

Do you have any errors in Windows System or Application Event logs that point to a conflict occurring during the post command time?

npsilva's picture

Hi,

In fact, I have some errors:

Source: VDS Basic Provider

Unexpected failure. Error code: 2@01010013

Source: ontapdsm

• IO error: Illegal request: Lun not Supported reported on LUN 0 on Path Id 03000401. The IO will not be retried.
  • IO error: Illegal request: Lun not Supported reported on LUN 0 on Path Id 03000602. The IO will not be retried.
  • Initiating path failover for LUN 0 Path ID 03000602. 
  • A Single Path Fail-Over is being attempted on \Device\MPIODisk502.
  • ONTAP DSM has determined that no alternate paths exist for LUN  on storage system . The LUN is in a severely degraded state and IO may fail.
  • Path ID 03000602 has failed and there are no alternate paths available.
  • The multipath logical unit  on storage system  disconnected.
  • The multipath logical unit  on storage system  disconnected.

Source: MPIO

• A Single Path Fail-Over is being attempted on \Device\MPIODisk502.
  • Data ONTAP DSM failed to return a Path to \Device\MPIODisk502.
  • A fail-over on \Device\MPIODisk502 occurred.

All this errors happen around the time the backup finishes. I would point out the reason for this, as I'm unmaping the LUN from the system, as it is no longer needed.

It is a single command line that unmaps and destroys de mapping:

plink.exe -pw pass user@192.16.0.120 lun unmap /vol/vol_SSIS/lun_SSIS_Backup SRV-BACKUP
plink.exe -pw pass user@192.16.0.120 lun destroy /vol/vol_SSIS/lun_SSIS_Backup

This is all I have.

Nuno Silva

Colin Weaver's picture

Are you trying to do some form of offhost backup without using ADBO and supported hardware, as if you are then unexpected results may be seen because you are trying to do something that is not fully supported.

There is a chance that you are actually VSS snapshottting (on the media server itself) the SAN snapshot because of the way you are trying to configure the system, and then destroying the LUN map before we have removed the VSS snapshot which could potentially cause such an error to be generated.

You should really look at using ADBO (license required) for this sort of activitity (assuming your SAN hardware is supported by this option)