Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  What feature in SEPM 12.1 replaces the Central Quarantine functionality?

Posted Jul 07, 2011 05:35 PM

Anyone,

I have been using the Central Quarantine as a way deploy definition updates directly to clients (deprecated) and centrally track the rate of infections/attacks per client (and per user!!) for years. I'm unhappy at the prospect of losing this last piece of the Central quarantine functionality. I'd appreciate any and all comments from those who once used this service and have moved on, especially if they've been using the 12.1 beta long enough to find a feature that replaces this lamentably lost application.

Yours,

Loel

• 2.  RE: What feature in SEPM 12.1 replaces the Central Quarantine functionality?

Posted Jul 07, 2011 05:39 PM

Loel, you can still use Central Quarantine in exactly the same way with SEP12 as you did with SEP11.

We do want to replace it at some point, but not until we have the functionality elsewhere :-)

• 3.  RE: What feature in SEPM 12.1 replaces the Central Quarantine functionality?

Posted Jul 07, 2011 07:11 PM

Paul,

I've been using the (slightly) updated CQ server and console from the SEP11RU6MP2 disk, so I understand what you are saying. The ...but... comes in because we are moving to a 64-bit OS *only* policy. My remaining 32-bit SEP11 server is getting long in the tooth, and the last time I refreshed the CQ the Icepack service got real flaky. Do you know if RU7 will have more updates to CQ? Will there be a 64-bit version of CQ?

Thanks,

Loel

• 4.  RE: What feature in SEPM 12.1 replaces the Central Quarantine functionality?

Posted Jul 07, 2011 07:25 PM

There wont be a 64bit version in RU7.  Its something else we are looking into.

QServer itself will install and work fine on a 64bit server, but the console will not.

Neither are supported at this point though.

• 5.  RE: What feature in SEPM 12.1 replaces the Central Quarantine functionality?

Posted Jul 09, 2011 12:36 PM

There are free, and paid virtualization solutions. You could install a virtual solution on your 64bit system that runs a 32bit OS. Then you can run any 32bit-only applications in the virtual machine.