What to make of my licensing situation?
Can anyone help me make sense of my licensing situation? I recently lost our IT partner who provided my Backup Exec and the know how behind it. Just looking to upgrade to 2012 to get at the ehanced backup to disk options to mitigate tapes getting full!
We bought Backup Exec 2010 OEM with 12 months support and an additional agent to cover A Small Business Server 2008 Premium environment. The support has now expired but whilst it was running I got the 2012 upgrade license keys but never deployed it. Considering renewing the support on it but need to get a budget approved first.
Current environment is as follows:
- 1 x Small Business Server 2008 running SharePoint, Exchange 2007, Active Directory & 2 x SQL Server Express instances for Backup Exec and an anti-virus product.
- 1 x Windows 2008 with SQL Server 2008 (as provided by SBS 2008 Premium License).
- 1 x Windows Server 2008 R2 web edition running 1 SQL Express 2008 R2 instance (this is not currently covered by a backup exec agent).
My questions are:
- Even though the support contract has run out am I still elegible to install the 2012 edition?
- The license assesment tool acknowledges that we have Backup Exec 2010 Small Business plus an agent. For some reason it says we are not in compliance because we need licenses for SharePoint, Exchange and 2 x SQL server licenses. This cannot be corrrect. Is this a concern?
- We originally bought Backup Exec 2010 OEM + 1 agent license. In my licensing portal I have an entry for Backup Exec Small Business Edition 2012 plus two agents. Does this mean I can now cover my third server?
Sorry if these questions are a little straightforwardly obvious. I have to deal with my company's IT all on my own so any opportunity to "bounce off" someone else to make things clearer is much appreciated.