What training methods have been successful for you?
We have Altiris CMS 6.x and Helpdesk 6.x installed in a 1200-node environment, but due to a lack of planning at the time, it's barely implemented. (Despite owning so many solutions, we only use Helpdesk 6.x, have a few small application RIPs, and hardware-specific images sent via USB RDeploy.) We're looking at doing Altiris right with a migration to Altiris CMS 7 and Service Desk 7, and finally using all the solutions. I've read the Altiris 7 Planning and Implementation Guide. I plan on reading some other documents (more or less at random) and wonder about the benefit of an Altiris eLearning license or some instructor-led training courses.
My question is, "What training methods have you tried, and which were most successful? Least successful?" I am not particularly interested if you've never gone to instructor-led training, but wish you could. Rather, I'm interested in what training methods you've used and how effective you think those methods have been in teaching you how to build a fully-functioning Altiris toolset.
Here are some methods of training/learning I'm thinking of; this may not be every method out there:
- asking the forums when you have an issue, but otherwise not reading documentation
- just installing Altiris (test or production), and then seeing how it goes
- proactively reading Altiris documentation on a specific product (cover to cover) before implementing it
- reactively reading Altiris documentation on a specific product or product topic after implementing it
- purchasing and viewing Altiris eLearning modules
- attending an instructor-led training session, and when (pre- or post-install)
- working individually with a consultant