Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  What's the next release after SMS SMTP 5.01

Posted Oct 29, 2008 01:38 PM

Does anyone know what is the next release after SMS SMTP 5.01.  I know it hasn't release anything yet.  I went into FileConnect to check on any updates.  After putting in my serial number, SMS SMTP 5.01 is not an option to download anymore.  But if I were to put in my old Symantec Antivirus Enterprise serial number, it still show up.

I don't even know if the SMS SMTP will get a new version anymore.  If it does, I hope the CPU hog will drop quite a bit.

Just curious....

• 2.  RE: What's the next release after SMS SMTP 5.01

Posted Oct 30, 2008 05:30 AM

Hi John,

Great question, thanks for posting.

So currently there isn't anything set in stone for the SMS-SMTP product, release wise, and we are still considering both the immediate and long term road map for it.

Our recommended strategy is to start moving to either Brightmail Gateway (virtual or appliance) or Brightmail Message Filter (software), depending on your requirements.

Why?  Well, improved effectiveness and accuracy, local reputation based traffic shaping and access to better and larger BLs.  Not to mention DLP and advanced content filtering.

Your existing SMS-SMTP license covers you for Brightmail Gateway so if you fancy giving it a spin in a test environment you can download the VMWare virtual appliance from the VMWare site itself.

Hope that helps, feel free to drop me an email offline if you have any further questions.

--ian

• 3.  RE: What's the next release after SMS SMTP 5.01

Posted Oct 30, 2008 07:10 AM

Hello,

Same problem was at our side.We are planning to move from sms-smtp to Brightmail Gateway (virtual) but i'm very confused about VMware licence.At an another topic https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=AVGateway&thread.id=816

You said "you can deploy BGW on VMWare ESX at no extra cost" Is there a special editon for symantec to use VMware ESX ?You know ESX server is not free.Also at here https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=AVGateway&thread.id=802 you say "Symantec Brightmail Gateway Virtual Edition supports production deployments on VMware ESX Server 3.x" So i understand that symantec remommends to use BGW for SMTP solution but we have to buy VMWare ESX.Why can not we use the free VMware Server 2.0 with BGW?

thanks

Message Edited by Guclu on 10-30-2008 04:12 AM

• 4.  RE: What's the next release after SMS SMTP 5.01

Posted Oct 30, 2008 07:16 AM

Hi,

VMware’s Server line of products is designed for lab use and testing, not production environments. It is a hypervisor that lacks many of the resource control and virtual machine management features enabled in ESX. Also, platforms running VMware Server present an additional attack surface not present in ESX. Therefore, we are aligning the Symantec support policy with the VMware recommendations to improve customer success and thus we do not support the use of VMWare Server for production environments.

We hope to be able to provide support for ESXi soon.  VMware ESXi, is a new, lighter version of ESX, that VMware recently made available for free.  No exact date for support has been set.

So, bottom line is that right now we support ESX3.x for virtualisation.

I hope that clarifies.

--ian

• 5.  RE: What's the next release after SMS SMTP 5.01

Posted Nov 17, 2008 12:54 PM

So what you are saying is right now, if I want to use BGW, I would have to purchase ESX?

I am considering moving, but you (Symantec) aren't making it easy.  I am becoming increasingly dissatisfied with the Symantec family in general, after using CorpEd for many years - my first deployment was v4.0 in 1997 (I guess).  Endpoint Protection is simply a resource hog.  I had Brightmail 6.0 (from when Symantec first purchased it), then it was renamed SMS for SMTP. It too is a HOG on resources, which I understand is why you are moving to a virtual solution.  For all of the effort it will take to build a box to "test" with, download, install, and learn a little VMWare, download, install and configure BGW, I can easily move to the firewall-based AV and AntiSPAM solution built into my firewall by simply adding the licenses for it.  What incentive do I have to stay a (loyal) Symantec customer?  Of course, I am not talking about any monetary incentive, I am talking about performance.

• 6.  RE: What's the next release after SMS SMTP 5.01

Posted Nov 17, 2008 01:09 PM

Hi,

Virtual is not the only form factor that Brightmail Gateway runs on, we do also have the physical hardware appliances running BGW.  Obviously, there is a cost associated there also.

ESX is generally an attractive medium (in both cost and administration overheads) for customers that are already at a production stage with virtualistion in other areas.  Purchasing blades/hardware and licensing ESX directly for use with BGW might not work out for customers using their first hypervisor environment.

We recognise that and on the back of customer requests are in the process of certifying ESXi.

For test purposes, the virtual machine can run in VMWare Workstation or VM Fusion if you wish (although be aware of performance) or if you want to check it out semi-server grade the free VMWare Server can be used (but not supported for production use, in line with VMWares own support policy).

You can probably even run it through VMWare Player if you just want to get a hands on view of it.

Firewall based AV and AS are *generally* either open source or OEM'd from vendors (for example Symantec OEM software out to many, many vendors), obviously without knowing what you are referring to I can't really substantiate any incentive/differences.  Eitherway, OS or OEM has a lead time associated with it, not only for updates but also in some instances rulesets, which are commonly not as effective as Brightmail anyway.

Anyhow, this isn't a competative or sales forum so I don't want to push the "we're better than X" subject in this thread, that said - i don't want to cut the conversation short so feel free to give me a shout on ian_mcshane@symantec.com if you want to go over your options with BGW.

Cheers,

--ian

• 7.  RE: What's the next release after SMS SMTP 5.01

Posted Nov 17, 2008 06:20 PM

Lunchbox,

I have SBG deployed in vmware workstation, server and even fusion on mac.

It is just not "officially" supported by Symantec.

The performance is also lacking as mentioned.

For a full production environment you really should stay within the supported product realm, although there is nothing stopping you from doing otherwise.

If you have a serious amount of mail flow you will need ESX.

It probably works on ESXi as well, I just havent tried it, and you dont have the "official" support from Symantec again.

Firewall AV/AS is generally no where near as good as a dedication appliance. End of story.

Z

• 8.  RE: What's the next release after SMS SMTP 5.01

Posted Nov 18, 2008 06:15 AM

As a seperate note, considering ESX is the recommended platform, could you guys provide an esx image instead of one that must be converted first?  Being able to just stick it on the datastore would be very handy.

thanks