Video Screencast Help
Symantec Appoints Michael A. Brown CEO. Learn more.

When upgrading the SEPM from version 12.1 RU1 MP1 to version 12.1.2, the following error appears "Error 1920. Service W3SVC (W3SVC) failed to start."

Created: 07 Jan 2013 • Updated: 19 Jun 2013 | 9 comments
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hi Guys,

you know what? ...

This issue has been solved in the MP1 for 12.1 SEPM, but it´s repeated in the last Upgrade to 12.1.2 ... this is so sad Symantec ...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175156&profileURL=https%3A%2F%2Fsymaccount-profile.symantec.com%2FSSO%2Findex.jsp%3FssoID%3D1357559712732422OeJzxpsuL55UmLhIhB51mwJH51q8S0ynH1

BR,

Gil

Comments 9 CommentsJump to latest comment

.Brian's picture

open a support case

Please click the "Mark as solution" link at bottom left on the post that best answers your question. This will benefit admins looking for a solution to the same problem.

Gil_Saunders's picture

Thanks Brian,

sure, that´s ever an option, but I´m a bit frustrated about that, cause Symantec is aware of this issue long time.

BR,

Gil

Chetan Savade's picture

Hi,

You should create a support case with Symantec.

https://mysymantec.symantec.com

Check this video as well: http://www.symantec.com/tv/solutions/details.jsp?v...

Chetan Savade
Sr Technical Support Engineer, Endpoint Security
Enterprise Technical Support
CCNA | CCNP | MCSE | SCTS |

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helps you.<

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

Could you try the below steps - 

1) 

Delete the entry in Image File Executation Option:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\ccSvcHst.exe

Error 1920: Installation impossible: (SepMasterService) failed to start    

Applyied the following Microsoft KB

 
OR / AND
 
2) 
  1. Open regedit to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\TrustedPublisher
  2. Under "TrustedPublisher" look for "Safer" key.
  3. Delete the "Safer" key if it is there.

If the above does not help, please Create a Case with Symantec Technical Support.

How to create a new case in MySupport

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH58873

Phone numbers to contact Tech Support:-

Regional Support Telephone Numbers:

  • United States: 800-342-0652 (407-357-7600 from outside the United States)
  • Australia: 1300 365510 (+61 2 8220 7111 from outside Australia)
  • United Kingdom: +44 (0) 870 606 6000
 
Hope that helps!!

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

Gil_Saunders's picture

Hi Mithun,

thanks a lot for your post, but this doesn´t reflect the error I have.

Right, it´s a 1920, but in my case, the W3SVC (IIS) service failed to start, because there´s no IIS on this system since upgrading from SEP 11 to 12.

BR,
Gil

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

Hello,

Could you try Installing IIS and then uninstalling it again and check if that resolves the issue??

Worth a Try.

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

Mithun Sanghavi's picture

 

Hello,

I would suggest you to create a Case with Symantec Technical Support Department.

How to create a new case in MySupport

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH58873

Phone numbers to contact Tech Support:-

Regional Support Telephone Numbers:

  • United States: 800-342-0652 (407-357-7600 from outside the United States)
  • Australia: 1300 365510 (+61 2 8220 7111 from outside Australia)
  • United Kingdom: +44 (0) 870 606 6000

Additional contact numbers: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/contact_techsupp_static.jsp

Hope that helps!!!

Mithun Sanghavi
Senior Consultant
MIM | MCSA | MCTS | STS | SSE | SSE+ | ITIL v3

Don't forget to mark your thread as 'SOLVED' with the answer that best helped you.

Gil_Saunders's picture

Hello,

after all I solved this myself and want to share the solution.

First I did a snapshot of the whole machine, just in case something go completely wrong (thx to VMWare in that case!) ;o)

I did a backup of all configuration settings, like DomainID and such things via the SEPM Console (Server Private Key Backup) 

Then I backed up the SEPM database with all the policy rulesets and client information via the Startmenu entry.

I de-installed the SEPM completely and did a reboot.

After that, I installed the newest version of SEPM and did an import of the settings via the Server Private Key Backup.

Log in with the default admin.

Logged out again and did an import of the database backup.

That´s all and now, the SEPM run fine! ;o)

 

BR,

Gil

SOLUTION