Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Why is the SEP 11.1.1101 doesn't need to enable computer browser service to browse the network?

Posted Nov 26, 2012 10:00 PM

Dear All,

I found that I need to enable the computer browser service to browser the network client for SEP 12.1.2015.2015. However, I do not need to enable this service in SEP 12.1.1101 for the network browsing. Both server version is windows 2008 r2 standard. Do anyone know the difference??

Many thanks

Best Regards,

Elroy

• 2.  RE: Why is the SEP 11.1.1101 doesn't need to enable computer browser service to browse the network?

Posted Nov 27, 2012 12:37 AM

The version 12.1 Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) has the ability to deploy Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) clients to remote computers across the network by using the Client Deployment Wizard. When using this wizard on Windows 2008 R2, the following error is displayed: "The Client Deployment Wizard cannot browse the network. Make sure that the Computer Browser service in Windows is started and running. Then restart the Client Deployment Wizard."

• 3.  RE: Why is the SEP 11.1.1101 doesn't need to enable computer browser service to browse the network?

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Nov 27, 2012 03:03 AM

Hello,

It requires the "computer browser" service to be enabled.

Check this Article:

The version 12.1 Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager's (SEPM) Client Deployment Wizard fails with an error which states it cannot browse the network

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH196738

The Article is in reference to SEP 12.1 RU2, 12.1

Hope that helps!!

• 4.  RE: Why is the SEP 11.1.1101 doesn't need to enable computer browser service to browse the network?

Posted Nov 27, 2012 11:41 AM

Yes, it helps. I can deploy the client successfully when enabling the computer browser service. My question is I have other environment which have not enabled computer browser service but the client is also can be deployed.

In addition, do I only need to enable computer browser service on SEPM svr or I need to enable it on all server?

Thanks and Regards,

Elroy

• 5.  RE: Why is the SEP 11.1.1101 doesn't need to enable computer browser service to browse the network?

Posted Nov 27, 2012 11:58 AM

its on your manager server

this is helpful when you deploy the package using migration and deployment wizard.

this is the service which gets your domain and all workstations under it.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc787537(v=ws.10).aspx

• 6.  RE: Why is the SEP 11.1.1101 doesn't need to enable computer browser service to browse the network?

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Nov 28, 2012 06:49 AM

Hello,

I agree with what Rafeeq stated.

You would require "computer browser" service to be enabled on the SEPM server as from here you deploy the client packages via Client Deployment Wizard.

Hope that helps!!