Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Will GSS image Windows 2003 servers?

Posted Mar 12, 2007 12:40 PM
    I currently have 20+ windows 2003 servers which are mainly used for data storage, file & print, SQL databases and email. The actual windows settings dont get changed much although the data is changed every day which is being backed up every night. I would like to be able to take complete images of atleast the C: drives of these servers incase one completely screws up and requires a new windows install.

Ghost version 10 doesnt work with Windows 2003, but is GSS able to make images which can easily be restored to servers with blank harddisks? If so this would allow me to reimage a server, restore the data from tape and be up and running quickly.

Thanks for your help :)

• 2.  RE: Will GSS image Windows 2003 servers?

Posted Mar 12, 2007 06:42 PM
    Mostly, it should work just fine if you are using regular NTFS storage, since from DOS an NTFS filesystem is just an NTFS filesystem and there is nothing particularly special about Server 2003 at the NTFS level (striped/mirrored dynamic disk volume sets are one potential issue beneath the NTFS level, but generally that's not important for bare-metal recovery of boot partitions).

As long as your boot volume is a basic disk volume, and you can afford to reboot to DOS to do the imaging, GSS should be able to do that.

However, GSS doesn't do "hot" imaging using volume snapshot. For that, you'd need to use Backup Exec System Recovery (formerly LiveState Recovery), which is the "server" edition of the same Windows-based disk imaging used in the consumer Norton Ghost 9 and 10 (which is completely different from the classic Ghost program used by GSS).