Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  win32:malware-gen 100701 not recognized or removed by norton?

Posted Jul 07, 2010 09:18 AM
    Hello to all. I am extremely concerned that norton did not pick up three seperate trojans running in the back ground of my sons computer. The computer is a little over a year old and came with norton and has always had an up to date system. I just recently re uped his contract with norton. He tries to log into his video game world of warcraft, and the video game will not let him log in due to the above mentioned trojan. I run a full system scan and nothing. I try to view system processes and the trojan is so bad it blocks out the screen so you cant see any open processes. I down load a free ad aware and with in 5 seconds it finds four trojans running in the back ground? How can a system be this infected with trojans and Norton be oblivious. I do not know the full story yet but if what i am seeing is true this system is not worth the card board the program is shipped in.

• 2.  RE: win32:malware-gen 100701 not recognized or removed by norton?

Posted Jul 07, 2010 09:29 AM
    Since you are using norton product it is better to post it in the norton forums.This forum is for Endpoint 11.How ever have a look at this KB
    Scanning a file with a competitor's antivirus program detects a virus, but scanning with Symantec AntiVirus or Symantec Endpoint Protection does not

Norton Community

• 3.  RE: win32:malware-gen 100701 not recognized or removed by norton?

Posted Jul 07, 2010 10:10 AM

Try running the Norton Power Eraser to remove the threat.

Because the Norton Power Eraser uses aggressive methods to detect these threats, there is a risk that it can select some legitimate programs for removal. You should use this tool very carefully, and only after you have exhausted other options.

http://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.asp?lcid=1033&origin=default