Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Win7 image WinPE HP Elite 8000sff

Posted Mar 17, 2010 07:23 AM

New to Win7 deployment, just testing deploying on the bench.

Using Console 11.5.1.2266 and the HP elite 8000sff

So far;

Created win7 image on desktop Inc programs all drivers, basic cleanup of the pc removing Hiberfil.sys temp files.....

Captured using Ghost console with the /generalise and unattended settings with Winpe, created a nice 10gb file.

Here is the problem when reghosting identical systems using the network boot they take the image fine and go to the desktop great, but the rename and domain tasks fail it just loads Winpe and hangs then the machine will not boot win7 again and needs ghosting again.

Have tried updating the WinPE drivers network and storage

Have noticed the 100mb partition that win7 creates is not present in disk management, even though I though I captured the disk not partition (double checking that now)

Also have noticed that ghost uses Winpe 2.0 not the new Winpe 3.0, could this be the problem, can’t figure out how to update to version 3.0 in the boot wizard it just says the files are installed and will not let me add a new version.

Any advice assistance more than welcome

Thanks Leon

• 2.  RE: Win7 image WinPE HP Elite 8000sff

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 22, 2010 05:09 AM
    Only things need to be taken care for Windows 7 envirionment is if the machine has System restored partition;

Ghost by default does not save the System Reserved Partition which is created during Windows 7 operating System installation. An image of
    this partition has to be created separately. During the system restore, the System Reserved Partition has to be restored before restoring the OS partition.

BEST PRACTICE: Take a disk image (default create image task settings) of a Windows 7 machine.

The other thing can be the machine after reimaging lacks required critical drivers to boot in to OS;

Try performing Deploy anywhere operation to make sure that the machine has all required drivers.

• 3.  RE: Win7 image WinPE HP Elite 8000sff

Posted Mar 23, 2010 03:10 AM
    Hi Leon,

I checked the configuration of HP 8000 Elite model which is having AHCI controller (ICH10 family). I  suspect that machine task hung in pre-os (winpe), this is AHCI controller issue which we recently fixed in build 2269 (after RTM build). Just to check the problem (workaround), put the blank cd in cd rom and run the  rename and domain tasks mentioned above in your thread, it should work.

Please contact Symantec tech support to get this patch.

For other problem,  try the solution Yogesh suggested.

Regards,

Nitin

• 4.  RE: Win7 image WinPE HP Elite 8000sff

Posted Apr 22, 2010 09:23 AM
    You mentioned that best practice would be to create a disk image.  What if I need to have the image file located on a hidden partition on the client machine?  A disk image would wipe that would it not?

• 5.  RE: Win7 image WinPE HP Elite 8000sff

Posted Apr 23, 2010 11:46 AM
    I did the live update and it only goes up to build 2266. How do I get 2269?
    Joel

• 6.  RE: Win7 image WinPE HP Elite 8000sff

Posted Apr 24, 2010 12:14 AM
    Hi,
    You need to contact Symantec Tech Support to get the patch of 2269 build. It is not included in Live Update as of now.