Video Screencast Help
Symantec to Separate Into Two Focused, Industry-Leading Technology Companies. Learn more.

Win7 Pro x64 + Ghost 11.5.1 + UEFI

Created: 13 Aug 2012 | 4 comments

I have a number of Alienware Aurora R4's I need to ghost for a classroom lab setup. The machines have 2x 2TB HDD's in RAID0 (zero). Because of this I have to put the computer in UEFI mode as Legacy will not work being that the array is over 3TB and will not boot with a MBR.

I can Ghost the computer no problem using the x64 version of Ghost 11.5.1 but when I reapply the image the machine boots to a status error of 0xc0000225 (The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible). I see according to the KB article (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH156927) that Ghost does not support EFI/UEFI (REALLY?!) setups.

Does anyone know of ANY (Ghost or not) way to image machines that are set up like this?

Comments 4 CommentsJump to latest comment

EdT's picture

You could try using the Microsoft imagex.exe that comes with WinPE.

If your issue has been solved, please use the "Mark as Solution" link on the most relevant thread.

MacBrinky's picture

Does a legacy mode is available in the BIOS? If yes you could try it that way.

Dpak D's picture

Just changing the mode to legacy under BIOS would not make any difference to the OS on the disk .The disk is still a GPT disk.Only reinstalling OS after choosing legacy will convert the disk to MBR.In this case Ghost is not a solution as long as you work with GPT disks

KlausJ's picture

I have gotten this to work on some computers.

First, I installed as usual.

1: In the BIOS, select CD/DVD as first priority, hard drive C as second (don't select any UEFI device).
2: Insert Windows DVD and boot from it.
3: Select to install Windows 7, click shift and F10 in the next dialog Window.
4: Use diskpart to actually create and format just one large partition.
5: Close command prompt and install Windows + drivers and add whatever you want to add.
6: Boot on bootable media with Ghost.
7: When cloning, use these ekstra switches: -ntexact -ib
    (should also be used when restoring)
8: After cloning, use -ntexact switch when restoring to other client computers.

I have gotten this to work on a large classroom with Lenovo computers and Windows 7 x64. It didn't work on a Lenovo server though. So I only sell Fujitsu servers now, they can also be cloned (no UEFI so far...).