Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Windows 2003 server and Ghost

Posted May 16, 2010 10:58 PM

Hi

I want to do something I thought would be simple - create a ghost image of a Win 2003 server bootable hard drive.  Somehow though it doesn't seem to be that simple.

I have three questions:

- which files are/are not suitable for loading onto a Win 2003 server (or do  I just boot from the Ghost CD and run Ghost straight from there?)
    - is there somewhere on Symantec I can access that has simple instructions on using Solution Suite which don't only refer to Vista (eg I'm reasonably computer-literate but I don't understand the notes on what each of the components is/does)
    - am I better to install the Solution Suite on an XP machine, then share the Win 2003 server hard drive across the network and ghost it that way?

I have had this software for about 6-8 weeks now but still don't know what to do.  Any help would be much appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Windows 2003 server and Ghost
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 17, 2010 02:23 AM
    Using Ghost solution suite and taking an image of Win 2003 is pretty easy,
    Answers to your questions : 1 -> As you mentioned , you can just boot your machine in to Ghost CD and run Ghost to take the image , just make sure , your destination location (USB drive , network , local storage) is connected and can be accessible
    2 -> You can refer this link : http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/on-technology.nsf/docid/2008031211015760?Open&seg=ent
    3 -> You can install Ghost solution suit on Windows XP , and install the remote client on Win 2003 server and for this managed client you can take the image and even perform other supported tasks , like inventory , restore

• 3.  RE: Windows 2003 server and Ghost

Posted May 17, 2010 08:32 AM
    Just to add what  Yogesh said, hot imaging (while the machine is boot in operating system) on Windows 2003 server and other Server platform is not supported.

• 4.  RE: Windows 2003 server and Ghost

Posted May 17, 2010 10:49 PM

Thank you both for your quick and helpful advice.  I now have a way forward - which is wonderful.  I would prefer to do the boot from the Ghost CD but I'll need to connect a second hard drive to receive the image - that seems the easiest.

Now, though, I also understand about what the remote client stuff is all about (although I'm not sure what the point is doing a hot image which, I assume isn't a complete image because some files are busy?)

Anyway, much appreciate your advice.

• 5.  RE: Windows 2003 server and Ghost

Posted May 18, 2010 01:47 AM
    Hot imaging is very user friendly operation. You can just run ghost32/64.exe on respective operating system (not server class) and it takes the image on the fly even if the some system files are in use as you mentioned. You can go ahead and use the feature, I am sure you would love it. It's basically volume snapshot.