Windows 2008 R2 Failover Cluster: Removing Cluster Resource (SFW Disk Group)
I have to remove a SFW cluster resource (virtualized storage consisting of three disk arrays) from a Windows Server 2008 R2 Fileserver Cluster, and just want to make sure that I don't delete the SFW volume by removing it from the cluster. So my Step-by-Step plan looks like the following. Did I forget something or is something wrong?
Name of the File Server: "MyFileServer"
Name of the volume to be removed: "MyVOL"
1. Open Windows Failover Cluster Manager and expand in the navigation column the tree to your File Server "MyFileServer"
2. Section "File Server" (in the main window): Switch File Server "MyVOL" to OFFLINE
3. Section "Drives" (in the main window): Switch Drive "MyVOL" to OFFLINE
4. Section "File Server" (in the main window): Right click on File Server "MyVOL" and select "Delete" from the context menu
5. Section "Drives" (in the main window): Right click on Drive "MyVOL" and select "Remove from MyFileServer" from the context menu
By step 5, I guess that under "Storage" (click on "Storage" in the navigation column) the resource "MyVOL" will be shown under "Available Resources".
Question: Does it have to be removed also from here to remove it completely from the Windows Cluster?
If the answer is "yes":
6. Choose "Storage" in the navigation column
7. Section "Available Drives": Delete MyVOL
Once again: The aim is to remove the MyVOL resource from the cluster but keep it as a SFW volume (as it has to be connected later on as a normal dynamic disk group to one of the file server nodes).
(I'm sure this is a very simple question to answer for anybody who has ever removed a SFW volume from a Windows Failover Cluster.)
Thank you very much for your answer!