Video Screencast Help

Windows 2012 Hyper-V

Created: 03 Sep 2013 • Updated: 19 Sep 2013 | 2 comments
TA0's picture
This issue has been solved. See solution.

Hello,

I've worked with NBU previously but just returning and have a Hyper-V 2012 project.

1. What's the favoured approach to backing up VMs, via Hyper-V media server or off-host backups? What are the pros/cons?
  2. What's the best way to bundle VMs into policies? I'm thinking that creating policies by datastores (sorry VMware terminology) may be a waste of time as VMs can be moved between datastores without me knowing
  3. I've read I'll have to have agent-based backups for virtualised apps like Exchange and SQL and have separate policies for VMs. Do I have to ensure the schedules do not overlap?
  4. BLIB isn't supported currently so what effect will this have on my backups/restores?

Thanks

Operating Systems:

Comments 2 CommentsJump to latest comment

captain jack sparrow's picture

Comments to your queries

What's the favoured approach to backing up VMs, via Hyper-V media server or off-host backups? What are the pros/cons?

> NetBackup must be at 7.5.0.6 min release level to support Windows 2012 Hyper-V backups. 

Off-Host would be better than via Hyper-V as it off loads backup performance from primary. 

Approach would be hybrid considering performance of Hyper-V during backups 

What's the best way to bundle VMs into policies? I'm thinking that creating policies by datastores (sorry VMware terminology) may be a waste of time as VMs can be moved between datastores without me knowing

>VMs will be moving across Hyper-V or datastores as a part of dynamic load balancing. NetBackup does not have to worry about it as far as policies are configured with CSV as target. Use CSV name of Hyper-V cluster for browsing Guest VMs, This would ensure irrespective of Hyper-V owns VM is backed up.

With Hyper-V 2012 CSV allows concurrent backups compared to previous serialized backup that requires time out to be specified in policy. 

I've read I'll have to have agent-based backups for virtualised apps like Exchange and SQL and have separate policies for VMs. Do I have to ensure the schedules do not overlap?

Agent based backups would be reading app/db data within VM, You just need to ensure agent based backups are not conflicted with VM based backups of same client/vm. For concurrency this is now eliminated with 2012, hence you can have multiple backups running in parellal. Just verify performance factors on hyper-v during backups, then limit number of jobs to run in parellal.

BLIB isn't supported currently so what effect will this have on my backups/restores?

File level incremental you may try, till 7.6 is released. As of now BLIB is not supported,

Hope above clears your doubts

Cheers !!!

CJS

SOLUTION
TA0's picture

Thanks for the reply.

Looking at the limitations of 7506 I've decided to go for a traditional Windows client-based backup. The virtual disks are going to be VHDX and NTFS partitions so this gives me single file recovery and accelerator.

Thanks again